Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 727 »
eltf177
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 14th, 2011, 4:27 pm
I also like it. I'm wondering though, maybe put a turret forward like HMS Enterprise?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 14th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Oh, I'd advice against that! The Enterprise is a larger vessel and you'd not want to compromise stability.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 14th, 2011, 5:45 pm
She looks good :) And thank the Great God Mars, that folk are still posting sensible designs. My only suggestion is to consider having one of the main guns in 'B' position, then allowing more secondary guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 15th, 2011, 9:04 am
Thank you. I've considered making the fore 6in superfiring, and while I realize the greater utility of such an arrangement I'm concerned that it'll make my artillery too vulnerable since it would leave me with only four tubes. Currently anything short of a penetrating hit to the magazine will leave me will leave me with at least one working piece on the fo'c'sle.
Even if I accept the increased vulnerability, there's still the fact that it'll leave me with only four six inch guns. It's too early for twins and I'd like to avoid midship mounts because I find their utility dubious due to limited firing arcs and the impossibility of placing the magazines deep in the hull where they belong since that's where the engine is.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 15th, 2011, 9:08 am
That is a consideration; and I expected that you had evaluated the pros and con's carefully. Its the obvious problem of arcs of fire for guns, but there is no reason why you shouldn't stick with what you already have :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 15th, 2011, 11:48 am
[ img ]
I started work on the top view. Ignore all the multi-coloured lines, they're just there to help me.
I'll also ad that this is my first cruiser and the first completely freehand drawing I've done so far. All my other drawings have had some sort of sketch behind them.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 15th, 2011, 12:33 pm
I agree with PB on this, remember, too, what kind of technical information could the DAnes have possessed by foreign powers in 1920/21? This was at the close of the Great War. Although the general war was over, there was a Civil War raging in Russia, Balticum was in a turmoil, the Eastern Mediterranean likewise. Besides, for a navy such as the Danish, I find your solution admirably well-suited and economical.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 15th, 2011, 6:44 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
I agree with PB on this, remember, too, what kind of technical information could the DAnes have possessed by foreign powers in 1920/21? This was at the close of the Great War. Although the general war was over, there was a Civil War raging in Russia, Balticum was in a turmoil, the Eastern Mediterranean likewise.
There's that as well, though I have to admit that I hadn't considered it in that light.
On that note the 150mm Krupp guns might be considered a bit of a stretch. If memory serves the RDN didn't get them before 1923 or 1923.
bezobrazov wrote:
Besides, for a navy such as the Danish, I find your solution admirably well-suited and economical.
Thank you.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 15th, 2011, 8:04 pm
how about the 152 mm Bofors?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 15th, 2011, 9:51 pm
I hadn't considered that one. It makes a good deal of sense. Before the war the RDN relied on Krupp for all their heavy guns (~6in and up), but the War means that they can't buy any more for the foreseeable future. This in turn means that the CDS that has just been laid down and the projected cruisers won't be receiving their guns. Yep there's definitely some potential there.
Unfortunately the only illustration of the single mount I've seen was done by Psilander in his earlier more extreme style.
Does anyone have a linedrawing of the mount so I can draw it myself? A three-view would be preferable so I can put it on the top view as well.

Anyway, here's some more progress. I decided to utilize the oceans of deck space I had available (Quite unusual when you're used to drawing torpedoboats and patrol ships.) and fitted her with minerails. It's a nice auxiliary function and it give it a very Danish touch. Seriously back then we would tack mines onto anything short of the royal yacht and even that was a close thing. (Early sketches for the Dannebrog included fittings for minerails)
[ img ]
[ img ]
And yes I realize the mines will interfere with aft-most 150mm gun but that's a minor handicap.
After all, would you want to man a gun next to ~10 tons of unprotected high explosives?

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 727 »

Jump to: