Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 31st, 2011, 9:43 pm
well then, then this will be the final version of the NL perry.
[ img ]
thanks for all the comments, I think this ship has become quite an interesting ship.

Last edited by acelanceloet on October 31st, 2011, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 31st, 2011, 9:46 pm
Hm! i think those doors need some fixing, but...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 31st, 2011, 9:50 pm
all doors are in exaclty the same colour as the ships structure colour. they look a bit darker for some reason, but the colour is correct.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 31st, 2011, 9:54 pm
i'm thinking about those lines in those doors.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 31st, 2011, 9:58 pm
should be fixed now ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 31st, 2011, 10:00 pm
Hm....the positioning of the pennant number is very awkward to say the least. Given that you cannot move such equipment as anchor hawsers etc, you have to adjust, instead where you chose to paint your numbers! My suggestion, not least from an aestethical viewpoint is to place it directly aft of the covered anchor hawser, with the foot at the same level as the bottom edge of that hawser.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: November 1st, 2011, 7:45 am
bezobrazov wrote:
Hm....the positioning of the pennant number is very awkward to say the least. Given that you cannot move such equipment as anchor hawsers etc, you have to adjust, instead where you chose to paint your numbers! My suggestion, not least from an aestethical viewpoint is to place it directly aft of the covered anchor hawser, with the foot at the same level as the bottom edge of that hawser.
I disagree. apart from the fact that the USN pennant is placed exactly there, there is also something like regulations. all dutch ships carry it on about that position, and it should be placed a few pixels back and to below but the anchor is indeed in the way. this is the position that best matches the position this number SHOULD be.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 1st, 2012, 10:35 pm
and, another line of thought which was so similar to this mini AU that I decided to post it in this thread again.
what if the USN build the DG/AEGIS design, and later even exported it! I this ship would be used by the RNLN navy instead of the L frigates, as AEGIS and this design came too late for the GW frigate designs.

[ img ]
the specifications are basically the same as the USN DG/AEGIS design, with the difference that the mk 26 is an mod 1 instead of mod 2, to give space for an 76mm gun. all US radar systems except for the SPY-1 are replaced by HSA systems, and the 2 phalanxes are replaced by an single goalkeeper. to give space for the GK the hangar is ofset to starboard, while both RHIB's are moved to the portside.

a little note: I have used APECS II ECM systems to depict the ECM placement. most likely those won't have been placed, as the system did not exist at that moment. the S frigate ECM did not fit in this design though, so something else would have been developed...... maybe the APECS I would have been on time :P

my plan is to develop an second version, that would have used the DG hull before the AEGIS system was released for export, for an ASW/Multirole frigate that would have been there instead of the S frigate. I do not know when and if that will be finished though.

well, hope everybody likes it and please comment :P this is again an try out of my own knowledge to see how far the designs can go, any mistakes should be corrected ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 2nd, 2012, 12:08 am
You're aware that on the DDG you have green positioning-lights on both port and starboard!?!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 2nd, 2012, 2:40 am
This is interesting. I have a few thoughts.
  • I think sales of AEGIS to an ally are unlikely, especially in that era. But never mind that.
  • I get that you want a gun, but I don't think this is the way to go about it. Shrinking the Mk 26 magazine is a BIG hit to ship capability, and for all that I'm not sure how much it helps here. You've freed up a ton of volume, sure, but it's not in the right place. You have to move around a ton of internals. So much so that shrinking the magazine might only be a small fraction of the total work you have to do. Honestly, I think it might be easier to go the Type 42 direction and stretch the ship a little bit. Then you could keep the full-sized magazine.
  • Regarding the above, you're not subject to Zumwalt's extremely picky limits, so a stretch could surely be worked in. Hell, you'd want to do it anyway to have any potential for future growth.
  • I'd consider a shift to a Dutch sonar system. It would be better suited to the areas of patrol typical to their NATO duties, rather than the super deepwater capability emphasized by the USN.
  • You already have two directors. The third smaller director for gunfire use is unnecessary.
  • Remember your helo is quite a bit smaller than SH-2. You definitely have the volume to shift to Goalkeeper. I might try to raise it a little bit. Remember you want the Goalkeeper as close to centerline as possible so as to not block the SPY-1 field of view.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: