Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: AU design questionPosted: September 13th, 2011, 8:34 pm
Well It's a war propose rebuild. In war The AU navy was hastly searching to motherships with LCTs quick conversion where needed!

[Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: AU design questionPosted: October 10th, 2011, 7:55 pm
How much internal reworking is needed for this? Wouldn't a tanker (liquid cargo) require some sort of changes to the holds to carry vehicles and boats? I am assuming a container ship would be easier to convert, but you are using a tanker because it's available.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: AU design questionPosted: October 10th, 2011, 8:00 pm
Navybrat85 wrote:
How much internal reworking is needed for this? Wouldn't a tanker (liquid cargo) require some sort of changes to the holds to carry vehicles and boats? I am assuming a container ship would be easier to convert, but you are using a tanker because it's available.
Well... on the same principle but smaller scale, I have seen tanker trailers for semi trucks converted to haul solid cargo simply by lopping off the top with a torch, cutting out the baffles, and having hooks attached on the sides to hold a tarp that was strapped down over the cargo. Granted, this is very much a 'field expedient' way of doing things, and not the most efficient use of equipment... but it did work.

I would imagine that converting a tanker ship would be similar in procedure.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AU design questionPosted: October 10th, 2011, 8:02 pm
container ships were not around those days yet, and don't forget that the first container ships were converted tankers.....

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: AU design questionPosted: October 10th, 2011, 11:12 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
container ships were not around those days yet, and don't forget that the first container ships were converted tankers.....
First container ships were converted merchant ships, not tankers. The idea of containers originated with the use of the Seatrain boats, and later some American shipping lines converted their C2 or C3 types to carry containers, by adding a squared addition to the hull, sometimes it was wider than the original hull (like SS Ponce, or Pacific Banker). Later it was considered better to convert tankers because they had their engines aft, thus leaving the whole hull foreward free. Also ships converted were the C4 type which also had engines aft. IIRC the Seatrain ships were also converted to containers, after Cuba was closed to US commerce with the rise of Castro to power there.
BTW most of the ships mentioned above will be done, as part of my ongoing MARAD ships project.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: