Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 10th, 2011, 6:27 am
On the other hand there's been several cases of it failing horribly.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 10th, 2011, 9:29 am
Navybrat85 wrote:
Commonality is one good reason. Another is cost. Designing new classes of warships is a long, expensive process. By buying a class from someone else, even modified to incorporate your own indigenous systems, you save both time and money since someone else has already done the design work and testing on the new hull. Also, the sprucan in perticular was a flexible design. Look at the differences between the USS Spruance and the USS Port Royal (the last Ticonderoga class cruiser.) The two share a common hull design, but have vast differences in role, sensors, weapons, etc.
I agree on that. but that does not explain why they chose USN designs instead of the british and french ones, as done IRL most of the time when the dutch did not design them themselves.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 10th, 2011, 9:35 am
You went for US weapons, so it could be risk management.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 10th, 2011, 6:13 pm
Are you building these ships locally? During the Cold war, the US would have had the shipyard capacity to get them done, possibly faster than british or french yards. Yes there's the bothersome transatlantic crossing, but how long did it take to get 30 sprucans in service? It was less than a decade IIRC...with that kind of mass production underway, a case could be made for these ships to be built at Ingalls, BIW or Newport News and provide better value and quicker initial operational capacity than a ship built in The Netherlands.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 10th, 2011, 6:31 pm
the dutch build them theirselves, after the US design. just like they always do and did :P. why? first of all because it gives our shipyards work. second for the integration of non-US equipment. third because the dutch shipyards just do good jobs most of the time. it might take a bit longer, and cost a bit more, but the money would stay inside the netherlands and for repairs and all the possibilities are in the own country.

while I agree with you partially, the dutch with their long naval tradition will always build in their own country, their own modified designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 10th, 2011, 7:10 pm
Good reasons. I can imagine it being hard enough to convince the public building a foriegn design is good...harder still if your creating jobs in someone else's country building the ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 10th, 2011, 7:17 pm
well, to be honest, the dutch build foreign designs for years now. they develop a lot themselves, but take for example the leander class that became the van speijks, the S frigates which are based on an french design..... if you look at these ships that way, they aren't that strange anymore :P

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 11th, 2011, 12:01 am
There's another good reason - they get a large, "double-ended" hull design that neither the French nor British could reasonably offer. The best the British would've offered would've been similar to the Tromp in practice anyway (and that's if they'd be willing to export the Type 82 design, though I don't see why not). Though the Type 42 would've been quit similar to the Tromp too, but, it's still not a SpruCan hull. And the French "destroyers" were in a similar position.

The SpruCan hull ends up offering a larger hull with more room to work with, not to mention a large sonar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 11th, 2011, 5:05 am
Of course that comes right back and bites you with higher running costs.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 11th, 2011, 5:39 am
Ummm...ok.

You seem to be quite argumentative on this.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: