Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 6th, 2011, 6:16 am
klagldsf wrote:
TimothyC wrote:
The modified Spruance came out better than I was expecting.
Considering the timeline, it's basically a proto-Kidd.
that, with something of an command role.... indeed. although I think this one is slightly more powerful then the Kidd, due to the radar system... but with less missiles, as the harpoons are fired from the mk 26 as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 6th, 2011, 10:35 am
klagldsf wrote:
TimothyC wrote:
The modified Spruance came out better than I was expecting.
Considering the timeline, it's basically a proto-Kidd.
Yes, but the hull and superstructure with that electronics fit was not going to be easy to set up. Ace did a good job in laying everything out.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 6th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Yes, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. I'm not sure I'd make the argument that the radar fit is superior, since SPS-48+49 is a pretty solid setup... but this is probably the best one can do with SPS-01 on a Spruance without it no longer having any commonality with Spruance.

I might elevate the aft WM20 a bit, but that's all.

I'm a little less sold on the Perry.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 6th, 2011, 5:02 pm
hmm, I agree, I was thinking of the original spruance radar setup, of course the kidd's had another search radar..... so they might be on even status.
but what's wrong with the perry? it has exactly the same sensor and director fit of the dutch L-frigates, and the weapons are the same... only the L frigates have no gun and an fixed harpoon launcher.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 6th, 2011, 5:18 pm
L-frigates where intented to carry a gun, but the guns where sold to the Greek Navy for the Elli-class. And We had no money to still add them :(

[Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 8th, 2011, 11:16 am
I believe that was not the reason why there was no gun fitted. The first two Dutch S-frigates also carried a secundary gun (as intended in the original design of the S-frigate). The real reason (which I just found out) why the L-frigates where not equipped with a gun was to allow the extra large storage boxes for the additional Sea Sparrow missiles. Otherwise she would have had certain weight issues.

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 9th, 2011, 6:06 am
I would say that background wise something had to happen in the late 60 early 70's that made the dutch government decide they wanted there navy (as well as the rest of their forces more likly) to join more closely with the USN.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 9th, 2011, 8:33 am
Philbob wrote:
I would say that background wise something had to happen in the late 60 early 70's that made the dutch government decide they wanted there navy (as well as the rest of their forces more likly) to join more closely with the USN.
indeed. I was come to this conclusion myself too.... but couldn't find an reason why.
as I said in the first post:
Quote:
the story is, that for one or another reason, the dutch chose all USN ships to replace their cruisers, the van speijks and the DD's with.
there are not that many reasons that would fit there :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 9th, 2011, 9:48 am
Greater NATO commonality perhaps? It could even be a lead in to the common hull combatant

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 10th, 2011, 6:23 am
Commonality is one good reason. Another is cost. Designing new classes of warships is a long, expensive process. By buying a class from someone else, even modified to incorporate your own indigenous systems, you save both time and money since someone else has already done the design work and testing on the new hull. Also, the sprucan in perticular was a flexible design. Look at the differences between the USS Spruance and the USS Port Royal (the last Ticonderoga class cruiser.) The two share a common hull design, but have vast differences in role, sensors, weapons, etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: