Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 4th, 2011, 7:31 pm
this small AU originates in my research for the S-frigate development. when I learned that the dutch considered the perry multiple times, I started considering what an dutch perry would look like. the problem would have been that it's capabilities were lower then the real S frigates would have, so I decided that they would need to have more capable ships as well. because of that, I went a bit the mad route and chose the spruance class as base. from that, this AU originated.

the story is, that for one or another reason, the dutch chose all USN ships to replace their cruisers, the van speijks and the DD's with. simply said:
the cruisers were replaced by the tromp class spruance mod in 1975
[ img ]

the some DD's were replaced by 4 spruances, built around 1980
[ img ]

and the van speijks and the rest of the DD's were replaced by the kortenaer class perry version around 1985
[ img ]

please comment. I know this isn't that realistic (especially the dutch choosing the single prop design of the perry) but for exploring the possibilities.......
hope you all like it :P

Last edited by acelanceloet on October 31st, 2011, 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 5th, 2011, 9:25 am
added a bit of background story. more shipspecific stuff and more ships are to come.
as I said above: please comment.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 5th, 2011, 10:34 am
The modified Spruance came out better than I was expecting.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 5th, 2011, 3:00 pm
Yes, the Sprucan doesn't look too bad with the Broomstick set - though no ship would ever look attractive with that mushroom. I'm not sure about having it set between funnels? One other thing: Goalkeeper on the Perry but not on the Spruance?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 5th, 2011, 3:10 pm
the GK is because of the date, PB. when the tromps were build, the GK wasn't developed.... it was added later though. I did not add it on the sprutromp because that one already has all around cover of the twin 120's, and because the deck penetration of the goalkeepers would require an major rebuild, but the second (sprukortenaer) will get goalkeepers. the perry's have GK's because those were build in from the beginning in this design, thus changing the hangar arrangement a bit.

and about the position: I wanted to add it on the place of the original radar, so as less as possible of the structure would have to be changed. also, this position allowed me to put the radar as low as possible, if I put it on the bridge it would have to be considerably higher to overlook the hangar... so it was an choice between a bad radar field aft or an mediocre radar field fore and aft. it has to be said that the long range field of vision is still excelent, there will be blind spots underneath the horizon fore and aft, so to say.

@tim: better then I expected as well :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 5th, 2011, 9:24 pm
The radar placement on your OHP seems rather strange to my eye. Wouldn't the LW-08(?) simply replace the A/N SPS-49, and that other creature go on top of the other mast? (do you even need the second radar?) This arrangement just feels...off...

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 5th, 2011, 9:32 pm
well, I originally had made 2 OHP versions. the original did exactly what you describe, replace the USN systems by dutch ones. this arrangement is more or less that of the dutch L frigates, with 2 directors for the standard missiles and an targeting radar (the DA-08) for secondary direction and gun direction when the STIR's are in use by the SM. the different mast arrangement is because of the stabilisation foot of the early LW-08, which is (as far as I know) not build on any ship without that large structure underneath it.

so while this arrangement might not entirely fitting the perry in it's real life form, it fits the dutch requirements for it much better then the other option would.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 5th, 2011, 9:48 pm
I was surprised at the lack of an egg, given the egg is originally Dutch to begin with.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 5th, 2011, 10:00 pm
replaced by STIR and DA-08 in this case. it's all about the dates and mission.....

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 6th, 2011, 2:41 am
TimothyC wrote:
The modified Spruance came out better than I was expecting.
Considering the timeline, it's basically a proto-Kidd.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: