Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 30 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 128 29 30 31 3290 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 10th, 2011, 7:41 am
Can't wait to see a modern version of Germany's most-famous BB!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: The final big onePosted: September 13th, 2011, 1:06 pm
With the overwhelming success of aircraft carriers and small sized vessels with missiles the time of the all-big-gun-ship was over. Germany the first ship of the V-class battlecruiser, a successor to the O-class, still at 75% ready on the yard. It was decided to redesign the ship as completely missile-armed ship.
The 'Admiral Behnke' was launched 1947 and commisioned 1951. The first designs still saw the use of 16" or 18" turrets, they were all overruled by the final design without heavy guns.
A new weapon made the ship economical useful: the A17m 'Hati', a long range ssm. With 11m length a large ship is needed to use such a big fish. The 'Hati' carries a 900kg warhead over 300 miles. It's launched by four solid fuel boosters and reaches mach 2.7. Two twin launchers are installed at the standard positions.
As secondairy the A7m is still a reliable missile for short and medium ranged surface targets. Two twin launchers are installed midships. For support of sub-hunters two triple 'Geier'-launchers are installed. The 'Geier' is a rocket-boosted G7e-torpedo with acoustic self-guidance. It can target anything that swims and makes more noise than a fish.
The anti-aircraft-weapons consist of a mix of missiles and guns. The 'Taifun' sam is in 1951 still an accurate weapon even against jets. Otherwise the 'Föhn', a successful weapon in 1946 is not installed anymore while it's no thread to jets.
Medium and short range defense is taken by radar-controlled guns. Four 12,8cm DPs twins, eight 5,5cm twins and as an early ciws six 3cm twins with constant ammo from throughdeck magazines.
All the stuff controlled and directed by a big bunch of sophisticated radars.
A large hager is installed at the stern, it can hold two 'Weserflug' VTOLs, two of the bigger FA-423 'Lindwurm' helicopters are serviced outside.
The 'Admiral Behnke' BCG is 276m long and displaces ca. 38.000 tons. Max. speed is 35 kn.
[ img ]
The ship is despite its 1951' commisioning colored in war camo. The last defender of the UK in 1951 is Australia, they decide to change to a new government what officially ends up the United Kingom. The black-white-red strip is the german mark of victory.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 13th, 2011, 1:11 pm
Very formidable ship! the rudders and props look a bit odd but maybe that's just me :roll:

Typical, we always are the last ones to go ("On the Beach"!) :cry:

Will there be a drawing of the V class as designed?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Comparison Tirpitz / WalderseePosted: September 13th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Alex' Tirpitz
[ img ]
My 'Waldersee' derived from an older version of the drawing
[ img ]
Alex, did you mean something like that? Your renewed Tirpitz is great, I'll add the new parts (hmm, nearly all...) to my drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 13th, 2011, 1:36 pm
LOL I do like the name "Admiral Behnke" but just wonder if the Nazis would've honored an anti-Nazi! - Yes, Paul Behnke was not a Nazi... In fact a more suitable name could've been Admiral Zenker or Egidy!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 13th, 2011, 1:37 pm
Raeder?

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 13th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Rodondo wrote:
Very formidable ship! the rudders and props look a bit odd but maybe that's just me :roll:

Typical, we always are the last ones to go ("On the Beach"!) :cry:

Will there be a drawing of the V class as designed?
Thanks. Ahrg, the rudders. I knew, I forgot something.... A V49 as designed? Yes, sure ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 13th, 2011, 1:48 pm
Thanks, I always have had a soft spot for German 1920-1950 surface combatants

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 13th, 2011, 1:57 pm
I suppose "Großadmiral Raeder" would've worked too! A poignant question would be: when does Adolf Hitler die? A new leadership could've meant new rules and naming conventions.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: VERY short political outbreakPosted: September 13th, 2011, 2:09 pm
About the name: I found Behnke suitable.

Another thing is I try to steer the AU a little bit away from the Nazi Wank background. Sure there still are flags with swastikas around. And the background is a fictional successive operation sealion. And a situation that is unlikely to have evolved that way. But not impossible.

Did someone recognize I never named any nazi bighead in my AU? Once I made a timeline you will understand.

Please do not start a political discussion from here. Thank you.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 30 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 128 29 30 31 3290 »

Jump to: