Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 22 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2465 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: 'U' Class SSIPosted: September 3rd, 2011, 9:28 pm
[ img ]

This has been an idea for quite some time. Along with the 'Gemstone' it was one of the first things I attempted doing but I could never figure out how to go about doing it. Still I hope to have come up with a feasible solution. Developed in cooperation with HDW alongside the 212 klasse The design is similar to the following 214 but slightly enlarged overall. The vessels however only have 6 instead of 8 tubes on the 214s. They are equipped with licence built 20 Spearfish torpedos and 8 Sub-Harpoons (which possess a limited land attack capability under the Project Sapphire program) There are pipeline plans to upgrade the class with the retractable mast mounted gun and IDAS system under evaluation and trials in Germany.

Tentative Specifications:

Displacement:
1,895 t (surfaced), 2,120 t (submerged)
Length:
80.46m
Beam:
7m
Draught:
6.55 m
Propulsion:
Diesel-electric with fuel-cell based AIP
Speed:
14kt surfaced
25 kt submerged
Range:
21,300km surfaced
1,000km @ 10 kt submerged
3,000km @ 5 kt submerged
Endurance:
90 days
Complement:
5 officers + 25 crew
Armament:
(6) 533 mm torpedo tubes - (2) UGM-84 compatible
---

Regards, Mark.

Last edited by Blackbuck on September 5th, 2011, 7:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: 'V' Class SSNPosted: September 5th, 2011, 4:41 pm
The 'V' Class attack submarines represent somewhat of a capability leap over the submarines which they replace. Originally meant to be a class of 8 budget cuts in early 2000s resulted in only 5 being laid down. The lead ship of the class, 'Vampire' entered operational service in late 2010 and is currently serving with CSG-Atlantic with the carrier Ark Royal and her task group. They are roughly equivalent to the USN 'Seawolf' in capability and just like the Seawolves, cost a hell of a lot to build compared to their predecessors. Their sensor fit includes 6 conformal sonar arrays as well as the bow array, a towed variable depth array and collision avoidance arrays. Valkyrie and Venom are expected to receive ducted props and are having a 10m stretch incorporated forward of the sail.
Design inspiration comes from the Sōryū and Seawolf types.

[ img ]

Tentative Specifications:

Displacement:
7,500tonnes (surfaced), 8,700tonnes (submerged)
Length:
105.9m
Beam:
12m
Draught:
9.7m
Propulsion:
Nuclear with auxiliary AIP - ~245MW from the reactor (PWR) ~2MW from AIP (Distributed between eight 250KW hydrogen fuel cells)
4x thrusters: Fore and aft horizontal thrusters and fore vertical thrusters
Speed:
20kt surfaced
27kt submerged silent
34kt operational maximum
36kt obtained with Vampire on sea trials
Test Depth
600m
Range:
Essentially unlimited
Endurance:
150 days
Complement:
94 - 8 officers and 86 enlisted - Permanent Accommodation for 24 extra personnel and temporary accommodation for another 32 on top of that
Armament:
8x 533 mm torpedo tubes - Four UGM-84 compatible
Weapons carried include Spearfish wire guided torpedoes, UGM-84M Sub Harpoon, UGM-109E TLAM-E and UGM-109A TLAM-N
The panels fore and aft of the sail can be fitted with modular pallets capable of carrying various payloads from Torpedoes and Mines (illustrated) to UDVs and USVs
In total the vessels carry up-to 50 weapons to be launched from the tubes as well as the 12 cell launcher for TLAM-N and TLAM-E
Note however that TLAM-N' are not currently carried on this class of submarines, they are only carried as of now on the two SSGNs Andromeda and Atlantis
Other Features:
Dry/Wet room for SOF and attachment points on deck for two UDVs

---
Regards, Mark.

Last edited by Blackbuck on September 5th, 2011, 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: September 5th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Excellent!

[Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: September 5th, 2011, 5:17 pm
For these types with large beam conformal arrays, you really need three of them. And before the mid-90s, you want them equally spaced (ideally you still want them this way). Like the early US PUFFS sonar, these systems allow passive ranging by interferometrically measuring the curvature of an incident sound wave. You can't measure curvature with less than three hydrophones.

On the 'U' class, you might as well feed the towed array through one of the stern planes, as is done in US practice.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: September 5th, 2011, 5:39 pm
Amended both designs. Thoughts? I buggered the V template up too. Silly me.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: September 5th, 2011, 6:51 pm
You also want a long baseline, of course. The one on 'U' is probably too short. Again, look to PUFFS for guidance. 250ft baseline, operating at 200Hz-8KHz, is claimed to give range accurate to 2% on a snorkeling submarine at 10-15Kyd. Error seems to have scaled about linearly with array length; maximum useful range would seem likely to scale with it as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: September 5th, 2011, 7:24 pm
That taken into consideration I've expanded the arrays as best I can without needing too much modification to the designs. Both have arrays equally spaced and somewhat larger than before. The 'U' now has them 3m/h x 10m/w and the 'V' class larger still. Thoughts?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: September 5th, 2011, 7:28 pm
Sigh. No, it's not the size of the arrays. It's the distance between them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: September 5th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Ah. That I misunderstood. *amends accordingly* You must excuse my complete ignorance *sigh*

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: September 5th, 2011, 7:37 pm
I'm not entirely sold on those mission panels.
Between the tubes (21" or greater), hatch mechanisms, diagnostic equipment, data links etc. the bulges will easily be a metre thick. Unless you're willing to let them penetrate the pressure hull, that'll reduce your internal volume considerably.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 22 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2465 »

Jump to: