Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 29 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 127 28 29 30 3190 »
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 1st, 2011, 11:28 am
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
This design would indicate an exeptionally wide beam... Also, with the cutters, I don't see any cranes....
Thank you Bill. I made a cross section drawing and you are right.
[ img ]
The tilt rotor would make the hanger and so the ship very wide. Unless you turn the craft at 90 and fold the rudder. Then an overall beam of 20m will make it. I think you didn't recognize the hanger is below the aircraft, the landing platform is a lift.
Well, I don't like that idea any more, and I think, I'm too fixed to the VTOLs.

For the cutters there are davits, they disappear somehow behind the cutters guns.

I'll redo it, splitting it in two versions, one smaller without hanger and a larger one with adequate hanger for my beloved VTOLs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 1st, 2011, 1:45 pm
It's a beautiful concept, though the magenta stripe is a bit odd

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: PGH Kanonenboot long hull classPosted: September 1st, 2011, 1:46 pm
The enlarged Kanonenboot class with fullscale hanger for servicing VTOLs.
[ img ]
@Bill: I made the davits more visible. Do you agree with the ship now?

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: PG Kanonenboot 1946 short hull classPosted: September 1st, 2011, 1:50 pm
The shorter Kanonenboot class with rearranged aa guns.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 1st, 2011, 5:52 pm
Quote:
Thank you Bill. I made a cross section drawing and you are right.

The tilt rotor would make the hanger and so the ship very wide. Unless you turn the craft at 90 and fold the rudder. Then an overall beam of 20m will make it. I think you didn't recognize the hanger is below the aircraft, the landing platform is a lift.
Well, I don't like that idea any more, and I think, I'm too fixed to the VTOLs.

For the cutters there are davits, they disappear somehow behind the cutters guns.

I'll redo it, splitting it in two versions, one smaller without hanger and a larger one with adequate hanger for my beloved VTOLs.
I salute you; its not often that someone takes the trouble to answer a querie by means of a profile drawing. And yes, I can see that you can justify the concept, and letting us know that the VTOL stows sideways; and the same with the cutters, showing the davits behind. With the new updates; I sort of prefer the original with the below deck hangar, but yes, having it above the deck would offer more hull space and less of a problem with a void space and any problems with damage to the lift. I still think that the bow is too long, but I also like the cut down version. My only remaining querie would be the hull being relatively shallow in relation to the beam; that might cause problems in high seas; :)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 1st, 2011, 8:34 pm
Me likey...very nice!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: KanonenkutterPosted: September 2nd, 2011, 7:08 am
Introduced with the Kanonenboot, now with some more details: the Kanonenkutter (gun cutter).
Length 13m, one 3cm mk103m with shield, two MGs at the stern (detachable), one 12cm grenade launcher (detachable). Mast and funnel are foldable for stowing.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 2nd, 2011, 8:39 am
While the Kanonenkutter was a versitle craft some weird modifications were made.
This one is armed with four Föhn-launchers, each containing 35 73mm rockets with. These launchers were usually installed on big ships against strafing attacks.
Two cutters were modified with those weapons for attacking airbases. The Kanonenkutter 'Frettchen' launched them 15 mls from Port St. Angelo. The 'Frettchen' kept outside british radar range. The two boats sailed to a position where the RAF aircraft were calculated to approach. When the carrier 'Rheinland' began its attack on the Takali airfield, the RAF answered with Beaufighter torpedo bombers. They took route over St. Angelo, went down to 500 ft when they met a sudden cloud of exploding shrapnells. Each Föhn rocket produces a 60m diameter of shrapnell. The two guncutters launched 280 of them. 28 of 43 aircraft went down, another 8 aircraft headed back to Tikali airfield, the finally attacking 7 were not able to score a hit an 'Rheinland'.
It was the only time, the so called 'Foehnkutter' were successfull.
[ img ]
Haha it's friday, I went completely bonkers now...

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 2nd, 2011, 9:22 am
Another strange modification was arming the Kanonenkutter with Nebelwerfer-launchers. 7 of them were attached at each side of the boat, additional 14 rounds were stored in the belly, two boats were rebuilt that way and also carried by the gunboat 'Frettchen'.
The boats were launched near the harbor of St. Angelo. When the attack on Malta began, the two boats launched 56 rockets against the harbor installations where they delivered massive destruction. Unfortunately the destroyer HMS Jaguar was just departing at begin of the bombardment. The Jaguar sunk the two boats immediately but was later the day a prey for the FW-190s from the carrier 'Rheinland' herself.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: September 10th, 2011, 7:26 am
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s340 ... irpitz.png

So you can make the Bismarck beter!

[Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 29 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 127 28 29 30 3190 »

Jump to: