Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 15th, 2011, 7:37 pm
We try to catch the spirit of the source drawing.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 15th, 2011, 7:42 pm
A very fine effort although GW96A has been done at least twice in the history of Shipbucket so far. This offers some improvements over the current one.

You are a little short on length, 25 pixels too short at the waterline and around 20 pixels off on the overall length. I assume the underwater hull is pure speculation (there is a model of the GW99A somewhere on the web that mught help further)? Portholes in the hull are probably not likely given postwar design trends, strength counts for more than ventilation and a sea view! The armament and radars seem ok and all the correct parts are used. There is a newer Wasp helicopter knocking around somewhere.

As to the answer for your last question, that's tricky to answer. If multiple sources agree then its a good thing and you know you are on the right track. Of course every never-built has different versions and plans over time as they develop and so published plans can differ depending on what the author/ artist has taken to be the 'final design' and indeed sometimes there isn't one. GW96A is assumed to look broadly like the plan you've posted and so you are on the right track. We prefer to get the most realistic possible representation of the final work but if its not possible then the best artistic representation of a sound base diagram/ plan is acceptable.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
trap one
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 15th, 2011, 7:43 pm
As soon as I get the book by Grove I'll adjust the picture.
Drawing it as she would look after a modernization would be a different matter. After all the 984 never really worked. I think a proper hanger deck would be in order, and would the Sea Slug stay or be replaced by Sea Dart, the list is going to be long in both radar and weapons.

Hood
Will adjust the length, from the data on the picture I worked out about a length of 211m
The hull was done from the picture and the layout was taken from the Tiger's as they were the closest in time to the proposed design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 15th, 2011, 9:10 pm
GW 96 was done by Hood Here, when we was known as Tornado. Also Here, you'll find a waterline model of the ship, although she isn't idetified as GW96. Mihoshik has also done a version in the alternate universe thread.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
trap one
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 16th, 2011, 1:13 pm
Modified as per the NMM

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 16th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Good work!

I sould make the hang over with liferafts 3 pixel instead of one.

[Quote]
meeware
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 16th, 2011, 2:15 pm
That model looks quite early in the design process- the rear helo platform has no markings and has no obvious sign of being anything other than a quarter deck. I wonder, if the NMM has a model on record, might there be other public access documentation?

FYI there is another NMM page for that model here: http://collections.nmm.ac.uk/collection ... 67652.html

[Profile] [Quote]
meeware
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 16th, 2011, 2:19 pm
And this (though I suspect the references may be getting circular!
http://wiki.computerharpoon.com/index.p ... le_Cruiser

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 16th, 2011, 2:21 pm
Yeah thats the one from the books again

[Profile] [Quote]
trap one
Post subject: Re: RN 1950's proposed cruiser GW96APosted: August 16th, 2011, 2:44 pm
I've emailed the NMM and I'm still waiting on a reply.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 62 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: