Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 18 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2065 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: AAE Nachzehrer ProjectPosted: August 9th, 2011, 8:45 am
Sort of what if moment now. Critics of the FA-127 in the AF hierarchy (and staunch supporters of buying more FA-15s instead) Claim that their RCS-Reduced Grey Ladies can get the same job done as the FA-127 and after day one operations can carry a substantial amount more ordnance than the FA-127. AAE reacted with a private venture into a fighter-bomber based upon the FA-127. A demonstrator flew in mid 2011 for the AF. No decision has yet been made as to whether there will be any purchases of the new aircraft.

[ img ]

Atlantia Aerospace Engineering Project Nachzehrer:

General characteristics:

Crew: 2
Length: 77.5 ft (23.6 m)
Wingspan: 49.5 ft (15 m)
Height: 16.5 ft (5 m)
Wing area: 780 ft² (72.46 m²)
Empty weight: 47,289 lb (24,450 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 99,208 lb (45,000 kg)
Useful weight: 50000lbs (23,000lbs Fuel 27,000lbs Ordnance) 10433kg (8618kg Fuel 12247kg Ordnance)
Powerplant:
Prototype: 2 × General Electric F110-132 afterburning turbofans, 32,500 lb (144.6kN) with 3D Thrust Vectoring Control and fully implemented FADEC
Production: 2x GE/RR F-136-9000 Turbofans rated @ 45,000lbs (200.2kN) with FADEC and 3D TVC

Performance:

Maximum speed: Mach 1.7+ (1,290+ mph, 1,806+ km/h)
Supercruise with internal stores @ Mach 1.3
Ferry range: (1620nmi 3000km) unrefueled clean
Range with 4x external tanks @600 US Gallons / 2271L: 2025nmi (3750km)
Combat range: 840nmi (1574km) unrefueled clean
Range with 4x external tanks @600 US Gallons / 2271L: 1000nmi (1852km)
Max G-Load -3.0/+9.0g

Thrust to Weight Ratio:
0.8 with 100% fuel
1.1 with 50% fuel

Service ceiling: 65,000 ft (19,812 m)
Rate of climb: 50,000+ ft/min (254+ m/s)

--------------

The design borrows heavily from that of the YF-23 and FA-127 sharing around 60% common systems with the latter. Unlike the FA-127 the Nachzehrer has an internal designation package instead of the Low-RCS pod arrangement on the FA-127. Two novel ideas from AAE for the project include a buddy tanker version with a removable fuel tank arrangement in the main weapons bay as well as external tanks. Another proposed version features a side by side cockpit arrangement as opposed to the current in-line one.

--------------

Happy head scratching, Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: August 9th, 2011, 8:47 am
Interesting wing design, see no problem with the stats (my plane knowledge is tiny) and I think it looks fantasitic

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: August 9th, 2011, 8:51 am
The stats look fine but... I think the plane is ugly as hell, sorry. I just don't like that wing design. Not my plane though :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: August 9th, 2011, 8:55 am
Well the A10 looks ugly as hell, the truth is anything that is for war shouldn't be seen as pretty, but oh well!

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: August 9th, 2011, 8:57 am
Rodondo wrote:
Well the A10 looks ugly as hell, the truth is anything that is for war shouldn't be seen as pretty, but oh well!
I actually think the A-10 is quite good looking :geek:
But you make a good point. Is the plane functional? yes. Is being pretty going to make it a better aircraft? No. Does this therefore work? Yes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: August 9th, 2011, 9:29 am
I see several problems with this design. The Engines in the drawing are far too small to be F136s; nose is small, thus a small radar, thus short range, which for something like this isn't all that good; and your intakes sticks out on the bottom, which hurts the Stealthyness of the plane.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: August 9th, 2011, 9:59 am
Blackbuck wrote:
Indeed. Though rather than the place this actually refers to the heraldic beast. Silly southerners rioting...
Brum now mate :P

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: August 9th, 2011, 11:02 am
barnest2 wrote:
Rodondo wrote:
I actually think the A-10 is quite good looking :geek:
But you make a good point. Is the plane functional? yes. Is being pretty going to make it a better aircraft? No. Does this therefore work? Yes.
Each to their own, but yeah that summed up what I was trying to put forwards, thanks ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: August 9th, 2011, 11:47 am
Demon Lord Razgriz wrote:
I see several problems with this design. The Engines in the drawing are far too small to be F136s; nose is small, thus a small radar, thus short range, which for something like this isn't all that good; and your intakes sticks out on the bottom, which hurts the Stealthyness of the plane.
Bah. Re-design is in order then I guess...
swin_lad wrote:
Blackbuck wrote:
Indeed. Though rather than the place this actually refers to the heraldic beast. Silly southerners rioting...
Brum now mate :P
I know, it's bleeding ridiculous. There is no reason anyone should be doing what they're doing.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: August 9th, 2011, 12:17 pm
On topic I think that the aircraft is too low (not enough height between the top/undersides)

[Off Topic] I am a young person and I hate this being done in my name!!!! :( [/Off Topic]

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 18 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2065 »

Jump to: