Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 8:16 pm
The ballast tanks never fully empty, the level that is sinks to is when the landing craft float, the guns and mount are too heavy for super firing positions and stop her from capzising.
What is a fighting top?

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 8:25 pm
You have that much superstructure, and you're worried about the guns tipping you? You only need to raise it about five feet to get it super firing, probably less than that.
Wait, so when it's sailing, the landing craft are afloat? Is it essentially an enormous gun armed tug?

A fighting top is for long range observation. It is also where radar ends up getting mounted. It goes on your mast. Which you need.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 8:32 pm
Landing craft are not afloat when it is sailing only when the deck is sunk.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 8:35 pm
APDAF wrote:
Landing craft are not afloat when it is sailing only when the deck is sunk.
You just said the it is sunk to the level of the landing craft when sailing...

And please, answer my entire posts...

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 8:36 pm
No I did not I said that was the level it sank to.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 8:39 pm
APDAF wrote:
No I did not I said that was the level it sank to.
Okay, what level does it sink to while sailing? Currently it has basically no underwater hull, so that massive superstructure will make it unstable. It needs more hull to be stable.

Also, can you answer the rest of my post:
barnest2 wrote:
You have that much superstructure, and you're worried about the guns tipping you? You only need to raise it about five feet to get it super firing, probably less than that.

A fighting top is for long range observation. It is also where radar ends up getting mounted. It goes on your mast. Which you need.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 8:47 pm
I will get on to it.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 9:44 pm
Is this better?

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Um... somewhat, yeah. But why not put that mast aft of the smoke stack. It looks like there is enough space to fit it in between the bows of the landing craft and the stack.

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Mother Class Coastal Assault shipPosted: August 7th, 2011, 11:09 pm
You might want to add some kind of protection against waves on the aft portion of the ship. Since you have a similar concept, try looking at WWII-era LSDs or modern amphibious assault ships. A common theme would have to be an enclosed well deck, with only a stern gate to let water in. This vessel, even in coastal waters, would probably have some trouble in storms or rough seas. It would be a nightmare to cross open oceans (ESPECIALLY when there is a storm). As a last note, I imagine, depending on the beam, that two four or six-inch guns would be welcomed astern, as well as wing mounts against the bridge. Other than that, its a sound idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: