Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
jabba
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 10:15 am
Hi all! Really glad you all like the drawing so much. I have corrected the canvas size and pixel width on the secondary tubes. I have also added flags to finish off the look. I believe in this set up (armament and flags) she is as she would have looked steaming to the Falkland Islands in 1914, under Rear Admiral Sturdee.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 11:18 am
Beautiful. I am actually drawing cruiser Averof, and you Invincible is a inspiration! Particulary the way you portait it, with the masts in profile and full use of ringging, will surely set the standart for similar ships

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 11:24 am
Someone has already do the mentioned cruiser IIRC

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 11:27 am
well drawing them in full rigging has allready been standard in SB ;) , and HMS Invincible doesen't let us down in that aspect nor in comparision to allready existing RN drawings

Thougth Averrhoff is allready drawn and submitted to the archive, quite recently actually and it Isen't custom to redrawn our ships unless they precede from the days of the orginal bucket.

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 12:59 pm
If this is the Averof you mean
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1288
then I would like to try and make a better one, so.. but we'll see

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 1:27 pm
Yes, except that Sir Frederick Doveton Sturdee was a Vice Admiral (one ball in upper left corner!) and that he ordered battleflags flown from tops and halyards too! That'd make it as of Falklands. Interesting enough, this pattern was followed by Hon. Horarce Hood at Jutland. One reason was the similarity between the Kaiserlische Reichskriegsflagge and the White Ensign. The more that could be spotted and at the best, most conspicious places, the better. Also it was a safe guard for shot away ensigns. - And the staff on her stern would've been struck; so would her jack, and whatever little flag on the main topmast, remove that! It mars the overall quality of your excellent drawing! As for the flagset-up, I can recommend you look at my HMS Black Prince, it'll give you a fairly good idea! BTW, her commanding flag has to be flown on her top foremast, with the battleflags flown from where you have it right now flown!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 1:30 pm
ReiAyanami: did you not understand the implication of what Gollevainen said: first of all you need to obtain the permission from the previous artist. Your answer, I think reveals a very cavalier attitude to the artistic ownership of the drawings here at SB, but as for its implications, I will refer that to our moderators. This is merely my five cents in the bucket!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 1:40 pm
Well yes, I would say that Gollevainen put it correctly, that if a drawing has already been done and is on the archive, that should suffice; the exception being much older drawings from the misty dawn of time, when only a few Bucketeers were around, and even then we need to tread carefully, for we tread on hallowed ground. In the case of the Averof, it appears that this is still a work in progress, so it would be a breach of etiquette to want to compete with a new drawing. Besides (as I keep pointing out), why not choose a ship not yet on the archive?

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Indeed, the civil order inside the bucket relys pretty much with the fact that when something is drawn and accepted by the "elders" then it becomes part of the bucket and its status should not be easily shaken or questioned. Sure there can be opinions about someone thinking he could do better than the existing one, and by thus have right to rework some drawing; but things just doesent work that way... (or otherwise I would have redrawn all the drawings we have allready :lol: )

Nothing naturally prevents someone to drawn ships for their own liking, but by posting them here in the forum, one sort of accepts the Shipbucket's rules and code of conduct

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: HMS Invincible (1907)Posted: July 5th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Well, your best chance of getting your drawing to replace the one in the archive is to prove to Golly here that it's demonstrably superior in accordance to Shipbucket standards.

And as such, that's very hard to do, especially given the quality of the drawing already submitted.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: