Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Brooklyn class cruiserPosted: May 6th, 2011, 1:02 pm
meh, well I edit this thread title accordingly. If you come up with good sounding name, I can always re-edit 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Naval shipbuilding and combat in the cortex systemPosted: May 6th, 2011, 1:05 pm
Thankee :)

Ok, well, please all of you, comment and question :)
I need the help :P

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Naval shipbuilding and combat in the cortex systemPosted: May 6th, 2011, 1:18 pm
I recognize you. Is that the same Game timeline you mentioned in the HAB?

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Naval shipbuilding and combat in the cortex systemPosted: May 6th, 2011, 1:21 pm
TimothyC wrote:
I recognize you. Is that the same Game timeline you mentioned in the HAB?
:D Yeah that's me. Different forums, different questions :P
nice work on the CLAAN btw :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Naval shipbuilding and combat in the cortex systemPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Aren't you the guy from Warship Projects as well?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Naval shipbuilding and combat in the cortex systemPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:07 pm
I certainly am, though I'm very new over there as well :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Naval shipbuilding and combat in the cortex systemPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:24 pm
Good to see you here.
Anyway, I've been reading through some of the rules and I haven't found any provisions for stuff like smoke generators, star shells and such.
Some kind of ECM would be nice as well. Back then it consisted of little more than direction finders, but still it was an important aspect of maritime warfare since it allowed you to detect your enemy before he detects you. And while we're on the subject of detection, have you considered smoke plumes? In the early days of oil fired boilers this was essentially the first thing you'd see. Even more so if it was coal fired.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Naval shipbuilding and combat in the cortex systemPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Quote:
Anyway, I've been reading through some of the rules and I haven't found any provisions for stuff like smoke generators, star shells and such.
Making smoke is there (it's in the weather section). Star shells I forgot about :P
Quote:
Some kind of ECM would be nice as well. Back then it consisted of little more than direction finders, but still it was an important aspect of maritime warfare since it allowed you to detect your enemy before he detects you.
Right now I just have visual and Radar. Are you talking about stuff like HFDF? What other systems are there, as I seem to remember Huff-Duff being quite late war?
Quote:
And while we're on the subject of detection, have you considered smoke plumes? In the early days of oil fired boilers this was essentially the first thing you'd see. Even more so if it was coal fired.
I haven't put in range to smoke plumes yet. Do you know how high they would extend?
How easily spotted were WW2 era oil fired plumes?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Naval shipbuilding and combat in the cortex systemPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:51 pm
I can't remember when HFDF came about, but simple DF sets small enough to fit on a small truck were available before the war.
Of course, you wouldn't know if it was just over the horizon or at the other end of the med.

Your visual spotting ranges doesn't seem to account for the fact that if you can see me, I can see you.
If the BB can see the MTB, the MTB can see the BB's mast.

Lastly, Nightfighters weren't equipped with search radars. They relied on groundbased controllers to get them close to and pointed at their target. Only then could their own radars take over. I don't know exactly how the system handles visibility, but a Nightfighter can only "see" ahead since its radar is fixed.
Simplistic RWR systems were also available back then. This allowed an enemy plane to realise that it was being looked at by a radar and depending on the set even the direction of the looker.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Naval shipbuilding and combat in the cortex systemPosted: May 6th, 2011, 3:04 pm
Quote:
Your visual spotting ranges doesn't seem to account for the fact that if you can see me, I can see you.
If the BB can see the MTB, the MTB can see the BB's mast
They do I'm afraid :P
If you look at destroyer to BB, it's 36km's
If you look at BB to destroyer, it's 36km's

They will see each other at the same time :P

Sorry, the advanced rules account for it, the basic rules don't. It's on page 5 of the thread. Or it's in the downloadable document.
Quote:
I can't remember when HFDF came about, but simple DF sets small enough to fit on a small truck were available before the war.
Of course, you wouldn't know if it was just over the horizon or at the other end of the med.
Hmm... I don't know how I would represent that... Perhaps I would just have to role-play that... I certainly don't know how I would put it into rules, what with the range problem.
Quote:
I don't know exactly how the system handles visibility, but a Nightfighter can only "see" ahead since its radar is fixed
That's not really a big deal. Aerial radar sets only reach 40 kilometres/20 nautical miles. Add the fact that most of the time, aerial sets will be handled by the bad guys, and they will be pointed at the ship anyway.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: