Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Weymouth-Class cruisersPosted: January 28th, 2017, 4:05 pm
I have everything down except for the freeboard mechanics. They confuse me somewhat... I will figure them out. Also, for some reason the engine horsepower doesn't show up, neither does bunker capacity or any of the other engine numbers.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Weymouth-Class cruisersPosted: January 28th, 2017, 4:16 pm
Good luck and I hope you keep going would be cool to have another sim/design completion.

Would it not be better to start a Sim thread in the personal design's part as it will prevent anybody getting confused about the RL ships stats as Springsharp will never exactly sim like RL ships?

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Weymouth-Class cruisersPosted: January 29th, 2017, 9:25 am
I wasn't "jumping down RegiaMarina1939 throat" just pointing out some ways in which you can see that something has gone wrong.
For example the displacements. Also you will - should - get different results for hull strength if you say the ship is flush-decked or if it has a forecastle. Don't expect good results unless you know what affects what in general terms before you put data in.
Real designers put 6in on the beam of a Weymouth sized cruiser to improve stability. You should expect Springsharp to do likewise.
You can't get good results unless you enter good data. GIGO, isn't it?
Like all computer programmes, when you are new to them, Springsharp has to be checked against estimates of what is realistic.
Norman Friedman's book 'Battleship design and development' is a good guide about whether the figures match up - and he is considering
published stats against ships' actual performance - how you know, for example, that some Italian cruisers could not possibly be in line with the Washington Treaty 10,000 ton limit, or that Scharnhorst was not 26,000tons standard.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Weymouth-Class cruisersPosted: January 29th, 2017, 12:09 pm
Norman Friedman's book 'Battleship design and development' :-)
Amazon 8 Used from £89.44 :-(

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Weymouth-Class cruisersPosted: January 30th, 2017, 9:31 am
It's not as bad as that, and there are still libraries to borrow from. Snap one up at the £20-odd pound range if you can afford it.
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 01905-1945

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: