Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1721 »
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 4:44 pm
The Nina Class and the Cassidy class have more suitable underwater hulls.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 6:28 pm
Nora Class Destroyer

[ img ]

The Nora class destroyer was a experimental design that would later evolve into the Shannon class. ARS Nora was constructed and launched in 1939 and underwent numerous trials, such as testing new torpedo launchers and duel purpose double mount 5" cannons. Her armor was even thinner than her predecessors, but had better sea keeping and went significantly faster. Unfortunately she frequently suffered engine problems and broke down many times while travelling at top speed.

Nora suffered heavy damage after Japan had attacked Antara in mid-1940. She took a direct to the magazine and the ship was subsequently blown if half. Luckily the destroyer was in dry dock and full repairs were completed just under a year later.

When Nora was relaunched from dry dock, she was immediately deployed to a fleet in an attempt to sink Japanese carriers who were constantly conducting air raids over then Antaran homeland. Nora was the destroyer that sunk the first carrier in the war, but was sunk during the ensuing fight by the Japanese cruiser Takao.

A memorial in St.Nora commemorates the lives of the sailors lost during that battle that resulted in the sinking of the carrier *IJN Aoishiro.

Ships in Class - Launched - Fate

Nora - 1939 - Sunk by surface fire 1941
Bucky - 1939 - Cancelled 1939, destroyed in dry dock 1940

This design was kinda inspired by the IJN Shimakaze

*Fictional

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 6:35 pm
The ship was blown in half in drydock and then repaired? I don't think that's possible. Maybe a bomb hit close aboard disables the starboard propeller shaft or something. Breaking a ship's keel is a sure way to send it to the bottom (or the scrapyard).

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 6:38 pm
Colosseum wrote:
The ship was blown in half in drydock and then repaired? I don't think that's possible. Maybe a bomb hit close aboard disables the starboard propeller shaft or something. Breaking a ship's keel is a sure way to send it to the bottom (or the scrapyard).
How were the US battleships sunk in Pearl Harbour raised and repaired? I don't assume it would take too long to glue a ship back together that was already in dry dock. But then again I don't know anything. If the situation is unlikely I'll edit it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 7:01 pm
Hello everyone

As far as I know, of the US battleships sunk at Pearl Harbour, only Arizona actually had her keel broken, the others were only holed. There are instances of keel rupture which have been mended (the most famous one being HMS Belfast which is still afloat), but the ship itself of course did not break in half.

But if we are talking of destroyer sized ships, it is not impossible. The British once even added two halves of different ships together: In WWI, both HMS Zulu and HMS Nubian lost significant parts of their hulls, one forward and one aft; the surviving sections were added together, becoming HMS Zubian, which apparently was fully seaworthy (I did not make this up, ridiculous as it may sound).

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 7:14 pm
Alright thanks. I'll edit it :)

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 7:21 pm
A few IJN Destroyers also got nearly half of their lenghts blown up by enemy torpedoes. Shiranui, Harusame and Amatsukaze beign the most extreme cases.
Both Harusame and Shiranui got entirely new forward halfs and then returned to service. Amatsukaze was given a false bow with planned repairs to be made at home. However she became stuck at Singapore and kept operating in that temporary configuration untill her sinking in april 1945.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 7:33 pm
I mentioned in my post that a second ship of the same class was under construction, would repairing the ship from pieces of the other unfinished vessel be a good idea?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 8:25 pm
today most ship that get there keel heavily damaged, get scraped, due to the cost of repair.

For example even a small Navy as Norway, that need every single ship, scraped 1 of it's 5 frigates, due to hull damage after it sunk. for then operating the next 10-15 years with only 4 frigates as the main ship in the Navy.
[ img ]

But it all come down, how valuable is the ship for the fleet, how fast can it be replaced. US Navy would just rebuild a destroyer, due to they could be build quite fast during WW2, but a Battleship, takes time to build, so if you can save a year or two by repairing a major combat ship...

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 21st, 2016, 10:45 pm
The USN destroyer USS Shaw was blown "in half" in a floating drydock
during the Pearl Harbor attack on 7 Dec. 1941. While her hull was not really
salvageable, her inner machinery, propeller shafts, and after gun mounts
were used to rebuild her into a new USS Shaw. The USN never took her off
the books as really being destroyed, she remained in commission.
The destroyers Cassin and Downes were badly burned in drydock during
the same attack, and one of them had a temporary bow fitted, sailed back
to the U.S., and after receiving a replacement of everything forward of the
pilot house, returned to service.
This scenario is not fictional.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1721 »

Jump to: