Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 12 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1421 »
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 10:24 am
Oh! I had no idea! Then why were some people telling me my crane wouldn't be strong enough to lift a boat?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 11:48 am
The crane you have is fine for the smaller boats. What you need to do is to rearrange your boats so that the crane can deploy the smaller boats and either have a davit for each larger boat or as the APD's had, one double davit launcher.

It is actually very interesting finding out how they manage to overcome some of the problems. There are some very smart people out there. The more we learn, the smarter we get too.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 11:55 am
Because we were hoping you'd study the real thing and with some thought figure out why they did what they did.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 2:46 pm
You need to stop "giving up" whenever we give you advice you don't like. Spend some time studying the designs and you will go much further... as people have said you have clearly figured out "how to draw"... now it's time for you to learn about ship design!

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 3:02 pm
I welcome all of your advice and critique, but many times the advice I was given was often conflicting with what others were saying or were just plain wrong. Like in this situation I was repeatedly told to do my research on cranes and what ever, and told my crane wouldn't be able to lift one of those landing boats, and then it turns out the crane wasn't even supposed to lift boats, like everybody had kept telling me.

I can remember the same thing happening when I was drawing an AU US ship. The advice you all gave me was sometimes helpful, but the rest of it wasn't. I can do research on small things like what a K-gun is, how a gun director works and certain naval terms you use, but specific things like how a crane on an the APD ship works is very hard to find out. I've been told to examine other drawings and for the most part it was helpful, but I'm not able to understand everything. Telling me to look at my own drawing and figure out what is wrong with the crane didn't help at all. I redrew it a couple of times and every time thought I corrected the issue, and was wrong every time.

Telling me to "look at my drawing" or "look at another drawing" is not always very helpful. Colo you have given me tons of great advice and helped me to better understand how warships worked. Maybe because you actually told me exactly what was wrong and how I could fix it, or at least made it clearer than others.

Anyways rant-thing is over.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 3:10 pm
I understand that maybe it isn't obvious to you what we are talking about. Most of us have been at this for years and what seems obvious to us isn't obvious to a newcomer. Sorry about that.

My advice would, again, be to look at the existing drawings and ask questions about them. I would say to take an existing drawing and then circle in red the things you aren't sure of and post it here in this thread - then the experienced members could tell you what they are/what they do/their purpose/history behind them. That would be useful information for most of us to learn anyway.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 8th, 2016, 3:27 pm
Oh alright thanks :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 9th, 2016, 8:01 am
[ img ]

I made the crane longer and put all the boats onto davits. I also removed one of the AA guns and replaced it with some more life rafts.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 9th, 2016, 8:43 am
Hate to say it TristanAlting, but you have still got it wrong.

The davits are not what the boat sits on, but the big three sided 'davit' that moves to launch the boats. These are very strong to take the weight.

[ img ]

The blue things are what we are talking about in that photo that Thiel posted. Which is why I recommended moving the boats around. Have the heavy boats and davits as near to the middle of the ship as possible (helps with stability), with the two smaller boats aft of them where the crane can pick up and launch them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 9th, 2016, 9:51 am
Krakatoa has it right, though I would go for something a bit more substantial. The davits used by the USN for this purpose had a top beam that was the better par of a meter tall.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 12 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1421 »

Jump to: