Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 17  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page « 113 14 15 16 17 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 17th, 2016, 10:48 am
that's the issue, the B was not around early on. in 1960, only the SPG-55 (maybe the 55A) is around. the upgrade to newer SPG-55 goes together with the upgrade for new missiles. I think the A would be best, the RIM-2C was in service by then. The B was part of the the standard missile program, which was not initiated before 1963, IIRC.

That said, the designations for the SPG-55 differ somewhat between sources, so you are best off just looking at reference ships and taking the one that looks like the one which was on that vessel at the time. as far as I could find out, there are more versions (for example with mirrored small antenna's at the side from what I have drawn) then are documented in external references.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 17th, 2016, 11:20 am
Right'o, another try with SPG55 and still with Terriers, about 1962-63 completion date.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 17th, 2016, 11:37 am
looking nice, in my opinion. you might want to check the updated parts of the radars (directly underneath the 3D radar there is an antenna that I think is an old representation of the LW-08 or the SPS-49) and if I see it correctly you have typhon missiles on your launchers instead of the terriers shown above. you also have RIM-2A terriers, I think the date allows you to have RIM-2C (which basically means tartar on an terrier booster IIRC)

what you do have to change is the aftmost SPG-55. as you can see on the file I sent you them on, they have quite a bit of deck penetration, which currently goes into your Mk 10 system ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 17th, 2016, 11:55 am
How much penetration below the mounting are we talking about? I actually chopped off the SP49 and 55's tops and bases, which gave an overall gain of about 18 inches, how much more do I need to raise the mounting?

Above the bridge radars, 1st one (egg shaped thing) I am using as the navigation radar, since it is AU I am not too worried what it is IRL. Next up is the one I am using as the search radar for the 50mm twins, then it passes over to the individual radar control mountings near the guns once target is close enough.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 17th, 2016, 12:00 pm
egg shaped thing is an satcom :P

these things are actually parts in themselves, they do not come smaller :P https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63276563/SPG-55.png
so yeah, that is the size you have to keep in mind for fitting them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 17th, 2016, 12:35 pm
Last try for tonight, have altered the drawing above for extra height for the SPG-55's, have altered the missiles on the launchers back to Terriers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 19th, 2016, 11:38 am
Jewel Class Coast Defence Cruisers.

The Jewel Class Coast Defence Cruisers were ordered as a contrast to the huge cruisers and battleships that were then under construction. Those same huge ships were not really suitable for chasing round the coasts of Atlantis chasing smugglers. Atlantis had such a large amount of gems available to be mined that it was natural that some 'smart' people would try to smuggle out contraband gems and avoid paying the Government taxes. Eventually it was the advent of the aircraft and radar that put paid to this lucrative sideline.

Six ships were ordered. Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Opal, and Topaz. The first two completed in 1916 and the other four completed in 1917. Two were retained in home waters (alternating with those posted overseas) of which one, the Opal ran down and intercepted a German raider that was on its way in to bombard one of the Atlantean port areas. The ensuing battle lasted several hours with the Grief trying to get away at 18-19 knots while the oil fired Opal made 20 knots and ran down the Grief to a point where it started hitting the German ship. Once the hits were happening the end came quickly into sight. A puff of steam, a couple of puffs of smoke and the speed of the Grief dropped away to a crawl. The Opal signalled for the Grief to surrender, but the Grief kept firing its last two 4.1" guns, so the Opal stayed out of range and a final couple of 9.5" broadsides made further hits on the Grief which slowly rolled over and sank. One of the class, Ruby, was lost at the Dardanelles, to mines, the rest made it through WW1.

[ img ]

The five remaining ships undertook various duties during the inter-war period, but their constant duty still remained coast defence and chasing smugglers. At twenty years of age the ships were surveyed for major upgrade work. The Navy had never been happy with the mixture of turret and casemate 9.5" guns. The casemates could only elevate to 18 degrees while the turrets elevation went up to 28 degrees. This made a large difference in the range of the guns. The advent of aircraft also made an impact on the future use of these ships on overseas postings in the war that was showing on the political horizons. It was time to rebuild and upgrade everything that could be useful.

[ img ]

Every eight months from the start of 1936, one of the five ships would be taken in hand for an 18 month rebuild. The biggest part of which was removing all the armament except the two main turrets and replacing it with a modern AA based armament. Nothing was done about the armour which with a 5" belt and 2" deck armour set, they were as well armoured as most modern cruisers. The engines were also not touched as they had never been run at maximum speed for any length of time and were still in reasonable condition (when compared to the destroyers of the same period).

War service for the five ships will be varied and still to come. It might take me a little while to dream up different scenarios for these ships and where they could be used.

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 19th, 2016, 12:19 pm
The Jewel class is a very nice design, but it looks a little top heavy.
What is the beam on those ships?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 19th, 2016, 12:39 pm
360 x 70. They were probably where the name 'tub' came from, or maybe 'flat iron'. Its why they needed 20,000shp to make the 20 knots.

Displacement: 8,500 tons normal, 11,250 full load.
Dimensions: 360 x 70 x 22 feet
Machinery: 2 shaft, turbines, 20,000shp
Speed: 20 knots
Endurance: 9000 miles at 10 knots
Armour: 5" belt, 2" deck, 6"/4" turrets.
Armament: As Completed.
8 x 9.5" (2x2 4x1)
6 x 90mm AA (6x1)
2 x 13mm (2x1)
Crew: 480

Armament: After late 1930's refits
4 x 9.5" (2x2)
8 x 4" (8x1)
6 x 40mm (3x2)
5 x 20mm (5x1)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 20th, 2016, 10:29 pm
With the WW2 service records for the 5 Jewel class, I had in mind that they would be involved in the convoy systems where a heavy AA battery was most required. That being Gibraltar to Malta and Gibraltar to UK. With Atlantis to Gibraltar joining the convoy required route after the fall of France July 1940 onwards and as the longer ranged U-Boats came into service.

By putting my Atlantean forces into those historical events and having them duelling with German CL's/DD's in the bay of Biscay, constant U-Boat attack and then JU-88's to welcome them home. Then I turn around and go to Malta, fighting German and Italian aircraft, the Italian Fleet from BB's on down.

The wall of text is going to be huge. The Jewel class is going to take losses, 3 of 5 are going to be sunk.

Do the people who read what I write, mind having so much historical actions included. I find it interesting researching the actions, but I do not want to bore people either.

Let me know - Large or short and sweet.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 17  [ 161 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 113 14 15 16 17 »

Jump to: