Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 10th, 2016, 8:44 pm
Obsydian Shade wrote:
Regarding your proposed SAM installation, how does a twin launcher mates with a single drum?

Like this: [ img ]

I don't think there is any particular black magic involved in mating a twin armed launcher to a single drum magazine. The problem with the Mk 11 was it was a badly designed POS, but surely, by the 70s, engineers could make the idea work.
:oops: OK, not like I was looking at just that drawing for reference while writing that...
I really had the Volna in mind, I don't know how the autoloader for the Mk.11 works, so the double-drum version seemed more elegant and potentially more reliable. Again, approved by the Soviet Navy :D
Obsydian Shade wrote:
I'll look into other possibilities for the Fast 40; I'm hoping if the design allows it, I can find some bit of extra space for more Fast-40s, as one can never have too many. The hangar is a two helo one, and I presume the magazine that extends down into the hangar deck, nestles between the two birds.
OK, plugging the Fast-40 between the hangars make sense if there is space. I had in mind the Italian configurations, and how the Fast-40s are always paired port and starboard with a common director. Certainly nothing mandatory in that.
Obsydian Shade wrote:
For me, 4 guidance channels should be about right. That allows 2 SM-1s and two NSSMs in the air at once. Remember, that half of those eggs act as missile directors. The other halves guide the 76mm OTO and the Fast-40. I'm sure the eggs aren't as good as the STIRs at missile guidance, so I moved the other STIR to the mack, so that one hit that took out the bridge/mast area wouldn't knock out every director. I suppose, I could just use more STIRS instead of the eggs, but do those things direct guns too? It seemed like a cheap solution.

Well, the secondary gun control mission is explicitly listed on Thales's website, so there's that. Dunno how well that would apply to a late-70s version though, as I can't seem to find other ships using STIRs without an NSSM or Aspide involved. On the other hand, the Dutch Karel Doorman and German F-123 frigates (among others) carry a 76mm and only STIRs as directors, so it might work.
Obsydian Shade wrote:
My original design of this did include an SPS-48, but I got worried about expense and topweight, and went to the present configuration. This is supposed to be an improvement on the OHP, not a DDG, which my original example tried to morph into, before I took the sheers to it.
So that's where the Spruance-like masts come from? Again, if this ship is explicitly in the OHP category, I see nothing wrong with having only an SPS49 for air search. On such a hull size, a more extensive radar fit would mean compromising on either the aviation (see DDG-2 Adams class) or the weapons.
acelanceloet wrote:
fixed and rotating Mk 32 tubes
Yeah, about that, are these really fixed twin Mk.32 Mod.9 just astern of the triple tubes? If so, what for?

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 10th, 2016, 9:13 pm
Sorry about the fast typing, and errors as a result of it. Am trying to multitask, and not doing very well at any of the things I'm trying to accomplish. It seems I have a number of errors. The thrusters are entirely unintended. I was rooting around your Perry drawing trying to locate the underwater parts of Prairie Masker system, and thought the thruster thingy was part of it. I've been looking for the fixed tubes--is that what the circular hatch thing on the hangar is? I thought it was just some sort of ventilation hatch. I will work on moving those vents.

I've really gotten rusty it seems. The eggs are intended, though it may be that replacing them with more STIRS is the ticket. As for NSSM, and SM-1, I added the Sea Sparrow, because I didn't trust SM-1 against sea skimmers as much, and thought that Sea Sparrow might have a little bit of utility there, or just as a way of getting more missiles in the air without having to wait for the main launcher to cycle through the reloading process in a SHTF situation.

Do we have a belowdecks drawing of the Volna? I've been looking for it, without success so far.

One idea I explored and dismissed was that of using a box launcher, with some sort of palletized reloading system. The box launcher expends its missiles, and flips vertical, a hatch opens, and a loading device inserts a new pallet, and there are multiple pallets on a turntable waiting for their turn. It seemed like a good idea, but I figured since nobody had ever done it, it must not be that great after all. The pallet idea I got from land based missile launchers that use that quick reloading system.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 10th, 2016, 10:24 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
a bit of an fast, unstructured reply, but I wanted to give some comments ;)

your cooling water inlets are not close to your funnel (which is most likely your engine room) if your engine room is near those inlets, the stabiliser penetrates it.

I really doubt about the workability of the new GMLS. note that the Mk 13 fired the same speed as the Mk 11 on 2 arms with her single arm, because the loading was a lot less complex and for that faster. making an reliable, fast launcher would get you near Mk 26 (you could go a bit smaller in length of the arms and the magazine if you do not fit ASROC) but without separate magazines for both arms you are not going to get it working as you would like.
I didn't even know I had cooling inlets. I thought those things were more part of the Masker system, so I lifted them from your OHP, along with what turned out to be a thruster. I'll get rid of them tonight, as they weren't part of the original underwater hull, though at this point, I'd love to know what that thing does look like. I know it works by creating a layer of bubbles, so I copied anything from the underwater hull of the Perry, that I thought might do such a thing.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 10th, 2016, 10:31 pm
the transverse strakes are the praerie masker system. so you copied everything but the actual system :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 10th, 2016, 10:51 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
the transverse strakes are the praerie masker system. so you copied everything but the actual system :P
:lol: I didn't associate them with bubbles, I guess. :oops:

Tonight, I'll swap out the SPS-49 and replace it with the -48 for 3D targeting. For some reason, I thought the -48 wasn't to be used alone.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 11th, 2016, 5:51 am
When said "What about Mk26" I mean to use it as inspiration for an AU design. On the other hand, Soviet M-1 Volna holds 16 or 32 missiles, while the smallest Mk26 holds 24 (weighting about 78t without the missiles). There is available PDF file in internet with all Mk26 specs.

That mack seem to be copied from one of my older designs, which was inspired from JMSDF Takatsuki class destroyers. Usually macks were used on steam powerd ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 11th, 2016, 9:17 am
Obsydian Shade wrote:
Do we have a belowdecks drawing of the Volna? I've been looking for it, without success so far.
Dunno about an SB version, but see below:
[ img ][ img ]
More information hereor there.
As you can see, there is a small 16-round loading drum under each loading hatch. This ties in with acelanceloet's comment about the reloading rate of the Mk.11, who explained much better than I did why I would have gone for a double-drum Mk.22 derivative.
Regarding your palettized loading system, take into account that it will be much less compact than a drum-based system, and probably harder to automatize given the longer courses and higher weights for moving parts. To an extent, it depends on the compacity of your missile: a Sea Sparrow without folding fins is more adapted to a box launcher than an SM1 with a thicker body and strakes.
Anyway, no one has made a box-launched trainable SM1 launcher, probably because of the added weight on the launcher.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 11th, 2016, 2:10 pm
citizen lambda wrote:
Obsydian Shade wrote:
Dunno about an SB version, but see below:
[ img ][ img ]
More information hereor there.
As you can see, there is a small 16-round loading drum under each loading hatch. This ties in with acelanceloet's comment about the reloading rate of the Mk.11, who explained much better than I did why I would have gone for a double-drum Mk.22 derivative.
Regarding your palettized loading system, take into account that it will be much less compact than a drum-based system, and probably harder to automatize given the longer courses and higher weights for moving parts. To an extent, it depends on the compacity of your missile: a Sea Sparrow without folding fins is more adapted to a box launcher than an SM1 with a thicker body and strakes.
Anyway, no one has made a box-launched trainable SM1 launcher, probably because of the added weight on the launcher.
Technically, the Mk 112 ASROC launcher could handle SM-1, at least I thought, and there was a reloading system for it, though I'm a bit sketchy on the exact details. My idea was the launcher would have two supports on the side, leaving the space directly underneath the box free, where the reloading hatch would be, and the reloading mechanism itself would be like a retractable forklift, though it would have to handle the weight of all those missile, probably 8 at a time, which would make the thing prone to wear.

I'll probably go with a 2x24 round drum arrangement below decks; I think the design will allow me to get away with that much. On the otherhand, I see no reason why the arrangement wouldn't let me add a Harpoon-type AShM and ASROC to the magazine, and I know the updated version of that of launcher can fit either weapon.

And, yes the Mack did come from your design, and you'll be in the credits, when I finally get the kinks out of this thing. Originally, I was going to use a regular stack, and there would have been a second Spruance mast aft, but that was the point the design was trying to turn into a DDG, and I realized that I was trying to add too many things, so I instead went to a Mack. I presume the propulsion is GT, that the intakes for it are hidden on the front of the Mack.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 11th, 2016, 2:26 pm
ASROC fits only on the Mk 26, as that has an sligthly higher magazine and longer launch rails. keep in mind that you also need an separate loading mechanism for each magazine, or (the mk 26 does this) one that serves both magazines which also allows swapping missiles between the 2 magazine rails.

as for the ASROC magazine: while nobody did this in service IIRC, there is no reason tartar and SM-1 could not fit in the Mk 112 launcher (IIRC this was even tested)
do note that the cost, weight and ship impact of this launcher will be as much as that of 2 Mk 22, which is a lot more then a single Mk 13. I am not certain your proposed launcher really has advantages over a ship designed around Mk 26 (looking at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... 201972.png as minimal size)

for gas turbines, I would expect much larger in and uptakes then you currently have (look at the size of them on a perry, and you will need more then the 2 turbines on the perry I expect)

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Late 70s-80s Frigate designPosted: June 11th, 2016, 2:46 pm
ASROC launcher could definetely launch early Harpoon and SM-1 (RGM-66, anti-ship SM-1). I do not think that it is suitable for a AAW frigate.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 69 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: