Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 21 of 38  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page « 119 20 21 22 2338 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 2nd, 2016, 9:30 pm
Hello again

Thanks everyone

@Krakatoa... I always suspected there might be a difference between horizontal and vertical... :oops:

@maomatic: you see things... you should consider taking a job with the cops analyzing crime scenes! ;) I'll look over it. I could swear I pasted only C30 guns. Maybe I really should get some glasses.

Pitting the dutch ships against each other in 1944 was actually tempting, but with the new protective scheme and US fire control on the Zwijger that would hardly have been a contest. And some losses needed to be taken from air attacks; a WWII scenario where all losses result from surface battles would sound too much like a fairy tale...

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 2nd, 2016, 10:30 pm
Great series of drawings and a backstory!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 3rd, 2016, 8:37 am
Fantastic additions GD as ever.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 3rd, 2016, 3:16 pm
Another good set of additions, you really have created this spinoff AU thread a one that exels many normal AU scenarios.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 3rd, 2016, 4:23 pm
Epic is the proper word.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 6th, 2016, 8:09 am
Hello again!

Thanks everyone! From now on, posts will follow in rapid succession, because I now have all the drawings ready (not done in chronological order) and only need to write up the backgrounds (continuity raises its ugly head...).

14. Dutch prizes part 3: Wiesbaden
Apart from Willem de Zwijger, the Germans also captured the unfinished hulls of two medium-sized light cruisers of 8650 tons each, to be named Eendracht and De zeven Provincien. The original Dutch design called for ten 150/55 Bofors guns in two triple and two twin turrets, no heavy flak, ten 40mm Bofors guns, six 533mm torpedo tubes and two airplanes; with a 100mm belt and 20+25mm decks, they were well protected. Both ships were well advanced, approaching launch readiness on the Rotterdamsche Droogdok and Nederlandse Schepsbouw (Amsterdam) yards. Eendracht was heavily damaged by demolition charges, but De zeven Provincien fell into German hands nearly intact (she was lying alongside the Vrijheid and like the battleship, was captured by German commandoes). The Germans quickly drafted a plan to complete both ships using German equipment; their appearance varied quite visibly from their original dutch guise. Especcialy the arrangement of bridge and command facilities was - despite similar outer shape - totally different. The original triple turrets were still in Sweden, and German 150mm triples were too large for the Dutch barbettes. Thus the Germans had to limit main armament to eight 150/55s. They however managed to squeeze a catapult and three 88mm twin flak mounts into the design, although the magazines of the forward 88mm mounts were placed awkwardly far away forward of the mounts. Eight semi-automatic 37mm guns and twenty 20mm Autocannons were installed. They were the only completed German ships to mount the new SL-9 HA directors which were originally designed for the J-class battleships. The Dutch torpedo tubes were substituted by German ones of the same caliber. For German service, the names Wiesbaden (ex de Zeven Provincien) and Breslau (ex Eendracht) - honouring the tradition of naming light cruisers for ships of that type which were lost in the first world war - were chosen. The Dutch yards who had been building the cruisers also received the contracts for completing them, resulting in many more or less intentional delays. Only the former de Zeven Provincien was ever completed and commissioned as Wiesbaden into the Kriegsmarine in July 1943; she was the last large warship to be completed for the German fleet. During the Battle of the Lofotes in 1944, Wiesbaden looked like this:

[ img ]

After the war, Wiesbaden was returned to her rightful Dutch owners and renamed De Ruyter; she was completely gutted and totally rebuilt in the mid-1950s for further service. When her operation became too expensive for the Dutch Navy, she was sold off to Peru in 1973 under the new name Almirante Grau. There she serves faithfully as flagship of the Peruvian Navy since over 40 years; as of 2015, she is the last active gun cruiser in the world.

Greetings
GD

Last edited by Garlicdesign on March 9th, 2016, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 6th, 2016, 8:22 am
Great work GD,

Story and drawing go together well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 6th, 2016, 10:26 am
Another very nice addition.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 6th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Fabulous addition.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: March 6th, 2016, 1:08 pm
'The original triple turrets - still in Sweden, anyway - were too large for the Dutch barbettes'
what exactly do you mean with this? the weapons the ship was designed to use did not fit on the ship?

anyways, looking great, although I have some small doubts (the ship was quite narrow, you put 4 AA next to each other on the aft superstructure, that might be an tight fit with the radar there)

I am not certain gutting this ship and rebuilding her for postwar service would be what would happen in real life though........

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 21 of 38  [ 378 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 119 20 21 22 2338 »

Jump to: