Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
heuhen
Post subject: Re: SS United States to Sail Again?!Posted: February 7th, 2016, 4:24 pm
you get also that stability issue, by removing the old powerplant, you need to add more weight far down in the ship.

But if the engine is in better shape than we think... then a gas solution is doable, but don't know on that scale, The Norwegian Oslo class used Gas to power it's turbines...

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: SS United States to Sail Again?!Posted: February 7th, 2016, 5:02 pm
heuhen wrote:
you get also that stability issue, by removing the old powerplant, you need to add more weight far down in the ship.

But if the engine is in better shape than we think... then a gas solution is doable, but don't know on that scale, The Norwegian Oslo class used Gas to power it's turbines...
Sixty year old turbines? Won't those have to be opened up and bladé inspected? I'm asking because I'm not sure if there is any wear issue or metal fatigue involved that should be of concern.

As for diesels, the old 1920s turbo electrics the Americans used were very heavy. Their Diesels were not as light as the German Diesels (or as good) either. I agree with you that ballast would be a strong issue of worry as well as the work spaces.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: SS United States to Sail Again?!Posted: February 8th, 2016, 12:20 am
There are some fairly accurate plans online for the ship - and based on the statements she doesn't have to stay as fast as she was, just stay faster than QM2.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: