Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 38  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1338 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 12th, 2015, 9:34 pm
They look very nice 8-)

(my only point would be the narration, that no matter how obsolete the sea slugs are in he Falklands war the 8" would not be nice for anybody onshore ;) assuming the RN can still man big steam ships in 1980s)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 12th, 2015, 10:06 pm
Wonderful series of drawings GD.

With the series I did for the Princess Royal remakes, I got a lot of assistance from Hood on which radar should go where.

Did you give any thought to Raleigh and Hawke being armed with two by twin auto 6" forward, replacing the 8"?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 12th, 2015, 10:11 pm
Surely they look good.
And so, I can see you've chosen to have a longer WWII in your timeline too :P

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman2
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 13th, 2015, 10:11 am
Great looking ships, GD :)

Currently working on:
The October War, 27-10-1962 (apparently forever);
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;
Federation of the Channel Islands AU;
Republic of Yopur & Andaman;
some sort of overarching AU;

Regaining my sanity.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 13th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Great looking series. Keep it up! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 13th, 2015, 10:17 pm
FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC looking ships GD :!:

I LOVE Them. Especially the later versions.... I wonder what a Falklands task faorce would have looked like, in 'your' world [hint... hint] :D

;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 14th, 2015, 8:44 am
That is a great series of cruisers.
I love them. I'll have a look over the radars. The only obvious thing is the Type 982 mattress radar on the early Sea Slug conversions. Type 965 would be much better. Only a few early 982s were ever made soon were replaced by the 'hayrake' antenna. in any case the 982 is a target indications radar and not a long-range search set.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 15th, 2015, 9:52 pm
Excellent work. Can't say anything else about it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 16th, 2015, 12:11 pm
Hello again!

Thanks everyone. Pennant numbers edited, the new ones were (according to Navypedia, which seems to work again) never assigned to any capital ship, cruiser or aircraft carrier.

@Hood: Thank you for checking. I figured the 982 would function as a target indicator for the Sea Slugs, with the 992 forward indicating the targets for the 76mm and the Seacats and the 984 working as the main air search set. I was surprised how long the WW2-era 277/278 antennae remained in service (the 1960s Counties still had them), so the Admirals retained them too throughout the 60s. The 974/978 forward would be the navigation radar. That's what I thought anyway; I might be totally wrong, though ;)

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: August 22nd, 2015, 12:23 am
What's so impressive about this thread is how you've mastered the various "looks" and "feels" of the different nationalities you've represented. I'm a bit annoyed at myself for being so busy over the past 8 months and not following this thread. Everything is extremely well done!

My only recommendation would be to adopt a more respectful tone when writing about the sinking of these ships; you've got to remember that literally thousands of men would be killed in the most horrible of fashions when these things sink. I think that's one of the reasons most naval writers are very clinical in their tone, preferring wording such as "taking multiple shell hits and sinking" rather than "being hammered and split apart by 16" gunfire". Just a thought. I've seen this in a lot of AU writing and it's always bothered me. Even though the events (obviously) didn't happen it's best not to paint naval warfare as anything other than what it is: bloody combat in the most hostile environment for humans on earth.

Otherwise the stories read like a history textbook and I love it!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 38  [ 378 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1338 »

Jump to: