Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 13 of 31  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1531 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: March 26th, 2015, 2:39 pm
eltf177 wrote:
Over a thousand torpedoes to sink? Just...wow... :shock:
SpringSharp gets a bit wonky once you stray above 100.000 tons or so. Same if you go below 5000ish tons.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: March 26th, 2015, 10:11 pm
It would make an excellent liner, what with all of those portholes, front and aft ! :)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: March 26th, 2015, 11:49 pm
Hi Novice,

I'd thought a lot of '40s battleships had portholes in the hull, just so long as they didn't penetrate the belt? Possibly portlights rather than portholes to make it harder to sink, but the same point stands...

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: March 27th, 2015, 10:01 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Novice,

I'd thought a lot of '40s battleships had portholes in the hull, just so long as they didn't penetrate the belt? Possibly portlights rather than portholes to make it harder to sink, but the same point stands...

Regards,
Adam
Hi Adam
My comment was posted because I thought the numbers were excessive, and not because there were none

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: March 28th, 2015, 10:36 am
Really should have kept it for 4 days time. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 9:35 pm
JSB, I just understood your comment! :roll:
Yes, I agree. However, even with the simplest of holidays (even April Fool's), I tend to forget it until the day it happens (the only exception to this rule are the most important holidays, like New Years, Christmas, and of course, my birthday :P ).

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: April 26th, 2015, 1:19 am
More from Denton!

I've just finished updating the drawings of my original Heavy Lifters.
Looking through my files, I decided to give these things a facelift and I have to say I'm quite pleased with how they have turned out.
[ img ]
A quick disclaimer: As I was writing the specs, I noticed a glaring problem... They're oversized.. I didn't want to go through the process of redoing them, so I just added a conversion factor when taking down the measurements...

The design is heavily based on the An-124 and C-5 Galaxy. I incorporated elements from both, but I wanted to keep it distinct. The over-wing podded engines are probably not the best position maintenance-wise, but again I wanted to keep it distinct. I also think there is a little bit of a Coanda effect to be gained from their position, so why not?

Various Technical Details:
-M-Shaped yokes
-Hydraulic over Mechanical Flight Controls
-Rough Field/Short Field Performance like the C-5 and An-124 (this also extends to the 6E which frequently takes part in humanitarian aid missions)
-Notice Side door in landing gear nacelles for ground level embarking
-Like the C-5 Galaxy, the Entire aircraft squats, unlike the An-124 which kneels forward.

There are 12 4E transports and 3 6E transports in service with the Denton Air Force. Two of the 6E transports are on permanent loan to the Denton Space Program (they are painted in DSP colors, but may be recalled for use by the military at any time) for transport of components to Denton's South Pacific Territory, where the DSP's primary launch pads are located.
The aircraft are expected to stay in service until the 2040s

The 4E and 6E are also marketed for civilian markets (so if anyone is interested in using them, have a go!).

4E - Built 1974-1979
Crew: 6
Passengers: 92 Max
Length: 244.75ft
Height: 64ft
Wingspan: 238ft
Wing Area: 6,580sqft
MTOW: 882,000lbs
Empty Weight: 385,000lbs
Max Payload: 330,000lbs
Cargo Hold: 20.5ftW x 14ftH x 128ftL
Take-off Distance: 8,200ft
Landing Distance: 3,000ft

6E - Built 1981
Crew: 6
Passengers: 98 Max
Length: 282ft
Height: 70.5ft
Wingspan: 285.5ft
Wing Area: 9,890sqft
MTOW: 1,383,000lbs (Original) 1,442,000lbs (expected structural update)
Empty Weight: 608,000lbs
Max Payload: 548,000lbs (expected to increase with structural update)
Cargo Hold: 20.5ftW x 14ftH x 141ftL
Take-off Distance: 9,100ft
Landing Distance: 3,600ft

----------
I have also updated my 2 truck classes, by making them street legal :P (by adding beacons, strobe lights, mud-flaps, and license/identification plates) and updating the front and rear views. I have to say, aside from their technical problems, the MT-76s are definitely my favorite trucks now.
[ img ]
The MT-76 is a 7 ton 6x6 (MT-128, 12 ton, 8x8) truck built in the 1960s by the Elrich Motor Company based in Saarbrucken. It was developed in response to Denton's need to replace it's aging fleet of post-war trucks. It was the second military truck series to incorporate the backbone and independent suspension, as revolutionized by Tatra, and the first truck to successfully deploy the TMEB (Truck Mounted Earth-moving Blade). While praised by it's crews for it's ruggedness and ability to tackle the roughest terrain with ease, it was woefully underpowered (although the engine was very reliable) and a maintenance nightmare. The backbone chassis it was built on had reliability problems that were not solved until the -13 series, the transfer case had a knack for going out at inopurtune times, and the transmission was extermely noisy and was difficult to shift. Despite all of these problems, it served as the backbone for the Denton Army until the introduction of the larger, more reliable HT-86 and HT-158 in 1988. Even after the introduction of the HT-86/158, the MT-76 series still sees a prominent role in the Denton military forces.
[ img ]

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: April 26th, 2015, 1:36 am
Hi Ezgo,

Looking good, however, if you're after an Antonov 72 or 74-type Coandă effect I think you'll need to move the engines a little forward and a little down - the jet exhaust actually has to go over the top surface of the wing, if I'm looking at the An-74 (and 72)'s wiki entry right.

The trucks look great!

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: April 26th, 2015, 1:45 am
Thanks Apdsmith!

Ehh, it's more of artistic license than seriously trying to get a Coanda effect. I tried to place them lower to the wing, but it just didn't look good to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Federal Republic of DentonPosted: April 26th, 2015, 6:28 am
Another idea is this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_YC-15), the design on which the C-17 came for.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 13 of 31  [ 308 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1531 »

Jump to: