Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 12  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: March 27th, 2015, 10:35 am
In 1936 with its neighbours increasing their navies Venezuela looked to at least maintain parity. The plan was to purchase a destroyer leader with another four destroyers to make up the Venezuelan "Battle Group".

The design chosen for the destroyer leader was of US origin. It was to be a multi-purpose cruiser type vessel. The vessel ended up with dual purpose guns for both air and sea combat. Torpedoes to menace bigger targets with. Mine rails could be fitted.

[ img ]

This ship was to be followed by four Gleaves class destroyers

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: March 27th, 2015, 10:46 am
Very nice, Krakatoa, and very practical as well...

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: March 28th, 2015, 5:34 pm
Hi everybody,

A little behind the curve here, but hoping for comment on this WIP:

[ img ]

Still a couple of bits to do but I think the layout is mostly finished. Once this is done, the 203mm light cruiser killer should be fairly easy to drop in.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: March 28th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Hi Adam,
being mid to late 30's designs, the heavy AA would be in twin mountings. In a cruiser that size probably the tri-axial 4.1 mountings. The south American countries did not have much in the way of air units so their cruisers would normally need to carry their own.

Is that a twin or triple 8"?

The basic layout is fine. The German designers packed a lot in to their designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: March 28th, 2015, 7:53 pm
Hi Krakatoa,

This stage of the design is intended to be early '30s - not long after Leipzig - but the post-refit 203mm-armed version would indeed carry newer, better AA. I'd thought the long-barrel 88 would be the piece to carry for that, the 105 certainly isn't a bad suggestion either (guess it depends on how significant the refit would be. Might do a minimum refit and a more thorough rebuild version)

This version is actually carrying 3 x 3 149.1mm L/60s - essentially, redesigned Leipzig turrets to fit a wider base ring (and, I've assumed, better flash safety) - the base ring just coincidentally happens to fit the 203mm/L60 twins from the Hipper-class, which would be the main reason for the refit - the post-refit ship would be a fairly lethal little ship, I think, 6 x 203mm on just over 10,000 tonnes full load - a bit light for any serious engagements but hopefully enough to fit into the "Anything that could catch it, it can kill (and anything that can kill it, it can run away from)" category.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: March 29th, 2015, 10:12 am
The Japanese were approached for a design of cruiser to match the new ships being built for the other South American countries. The Japanese designers not being restrained by treaty considerations as its US and European competitors were, decided to overmatch the ships they new of. A main armament of eight 10" guns in a new configuration compared to earlier models was fitted, while the rest of the design conformed with the standard heavy cruiser configuration. This was done to confuse Allied observers who kept a close eye on the Japanese shipbuilding industries. Having a bigger ship to play with the designers made use of this by fitting more belt and deck armour than the smaller cruisers.

[ img ]

Displacement: 16,000 tons standard, 21,500 tons full load
Dimensions: 663 x 76 x 24 feet
Machinery: 4 shaft geared Kanpon turbines, 150,000shp
Speed: 33 knots
Endurance: 8,000 miles at 20 knots
Armour: 7" belt, 3" deck, 6" turrets
Armament:
8 x 10" (4x2)
8 x 5" (4x2)
42 x 25mm (10x3 12x1)
Torpedoes: 12 x 21" (4x3)
Aircraft: 3
Complement: 1100

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: March 29th, 2015, 11:05 am
I like but would up the displacement a tiny bit, I was thinking of doing a 17,500t so you can legitimately call it a capital ship via treaty's :twisted:

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: March 30th, 2015, 7:41 am
Some really nice additions here.
I've not yet found the time to scrape up my ideas into pixel form yet. That might have to wait a week or so.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 8:49 pm
Some very nice ships in this thread!
I was hoping to place a submission, but I felt that my current knowledge of technology 1930s and onward would most likely present more problems than progress.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Cruisers for South AmericaPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 10:59 pm
Hey ezgo394,

No time like the present to try your skills out. Nobody around here laughs at honest efforts. We are all here to help. I know very little about post-ww2 ships and those I have tried I have received a lot of help with to try to get them right. I'm always happy to acknowledge the help I get, and I am grateful to all for their help.

Have a go!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 12  [ 112 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »

Jump to: