Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: March 23rd, 2015, 10:17 pm
ooooh now I wanna see somebody draw up what the tornado would have been when there had to be a naval version of it as well :P

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: March 23rd, 2015, 10:25 pm
8-) interesting

[Profile] [Quote]
mike50
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: March 24th, 2015, 9:55 am
the au im working on is that everything up to now is as it was but at the next general election a pm who actually respected the armed forces was elected and finished the prince of wales as a catobar and maybe built 1 more as a catobar so the aircraft would be ordered required in 2019-2022. what im getting is that the super hornet or f35c would be best.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: March 24th, 2015, 10:16 am
Despite the fact you'd need to waste hundreds of millions of pounds refitting an almost complete QE and several hundred million building a few new blocks for PoW. Not to mention the millions wasted on the 3 F35B already built and the 14 ordered. Unfortunately you'd have to start you au and reversion to conventional carrier by the 2011 election not 2015 by then it's to late be to costly we already changed it once and then back wasting hundreds of millions.

F35c would be the logical option. at the Moment the F/A18 e/f and g are more capable and tested, by 2019/20 F35C will have been put through it paces and developed to a piont were I beleive it is the best available.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: March 24th, 2015, 12:47 pm
I have seen a navalized Tornado addon for a flight simulator. The differences from the land-based version include having a large tailhook and twin tails similar to the F/A-18.

[Profile] [Quote]
mike50
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: March 25th, 2015, 2:48 pm
shippy2013 wrote:
Despite the fact you'd need to waste hundreds of millions of pounds refitting an almost complete QE and several hundred million building a few new blocks for PoW. Not to mention the millions wasted on the 3 F35B already built and the 14 ordered. Unfortunately you'd have to start you au and reversion to conventional carrier by the 2011 election not 2015 by then it's to late be to costly we already changed it once and then back wasting hundreds of millions.

F35c would be the logical option. at the Moment the F/A18 e/f and g are more capable and tested, by 2019/20 F35C will have been put through it paces and developed to a piont were I beleive it is the best available.
it would cost millions to change back so how about a new build catobar ship based on QE and very similer to what the french were proposing. do you think that would work

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: March 25th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Probably changing PoW is still feasible at a smaller loss.

Suppose you could recoup some cost by selling off QE but to who. Australia or Japan?..... And the third carrier wouldn't be ready till pobably 2025..... And would probably have a knock on delay to the Type 26 due to be built at the same yard

But the money wasted on the F35 b would then have to be writen off... I think you just increased the cost of getting two new carriers by 6 bn and delayed the whole project by at least 5 years

[Profile] [Quote]
Ussuri_Tiger
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: July 2nd, 2015, 7:50 pm
Judah14 wrote:
I have seen a navalized Tornado addon for a flight simulator. The differences from the land-based version include having a large tailhook and twin tails similar to the F/A-18.
This is what I was thinking, there's a pretty big gap between the F-4 and the F-18 and if the RN has the carriers around making the Tornado carrier-capable is a bit of a no brainer, it's already got the swing-wing to help with take-off and landings after all.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: July 3rd, 2015, 5:52 am
acelanceloet wrote:
ooooh now I wanna see somebody draw up what the tornado would have been when there had to be a naval version of it as well :P
Hook between Engines, longer aircraft and tow bar.

Issue may be a bit heavy for the smaller RN carriers!

[ img ]
shippy2013 wrote:
But the money wasted on the F35 b would then have to be writen off... I think you just increased the cost of getting two new carriers by 6 bn and delayed the whole project by at least 5 years
Well if designed as Cat and Trap from the start the pricing will be hugely different due to not having to stop work for any redesigns and having it fully built in from the start. The BAE design for CVF may well have won the competition as well due to looking better for Cat and Trap.

Also F-35B never happens, the only reason it hasn't been canceled is the UK's need and the USMC would have got a sorta AV-8 new build. This could well mean a very different set of A and C models!

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: carrier advicePosted: July 3rd, 2015, 8:36 am
I would suggest shortening the tail or making the tail fold for storage. A Sea Tornado addon for a flight simulator I used had F/A-18-style twin tails.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: