Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1721 »
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 20th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Well, except for building some sort of platform on the rear of the vessel, there is simply no spot to stick the second STIR. (I will try that option) I'm a bit baffled by your assertion that fewer STIR are better, though. My understanding is that STIR is sort of a smaller, cheaper alternative to AN/SPG-62. It's not uncommon for air defence vessels to have 3 of these, as the more of them you have, the more incoming missiles/aircraft you can deal with at once. Now, if the SMART-S Mk 2 can also handle missile guidance, that does create more options, but does it really merit getting rid of an illuminator? I agree there is a point where extra illumination is redundant, but two or 3 isn't it.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 20th, 2011, 5:32 pm
simple solution:
download/file.php?id=909
do as was done on this neverbuild, make the funnels lower and place the STIR's higher.

and what the STIR in fact is, is an system that was used instead of the manned AIM-7 guidance unit's of the US navy. although the US navy now used unmanned unit's as well, the STIR is still just as capable.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 20th, 2011, 6:10 pm
This is the platform option with the third STIR added.

[ img ]

This is the more extensive alteration as you suggested.
[ img ]

An even more radical alteration with VL Harpoon, getting rid of the cannisters.
[ img ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All three options seem to have their pros and cons, though the third one does go a bit far. Not having VL harpoon allows for SDL Mk 41, which frees up internal volume.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

Last edited by Obsydian Shade on February 20th, 2011, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 20th, 2011, 6:44 pm
old 7.6cm gun

[Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 20th, 2011, 6:57 pm
Quote:
old 7.6cm gun
Since I liked the old one better in some ways, and since the DART mount is ugly, I kept it with modifications, using parts from the newer mount, explaining the differences as a locally manufactured variant.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 20th, 2011, 6:59 pm
well, the truth is that the real one is ugly :D of course, you could also use the stealth or original mounts.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 21st, 2011, 8:10 am
I have a somewhat off topic question here. While not the longest AU thread on the board, the Pallamaran AU is rather active, and I foresee more. I would like to go back and revamp the AU, adding more info and other details, as well as correcting some of the designs and in general tidying up a bit. This thread is full of edits and designs that it was decided not to actually use, and my thought is would it be better to keep using the current thread, or start a new one and and let this one slowly sink to the depths of the AU forum?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 21st, 2011, 11:21 pm
Keep the thread but edit the first post with the various designs? Not sure if the forum has an image count limit per post though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 7:06 pm
[ img ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

While I work on the above, here are FRAMs completed. The lower one is the class as they would have ended their careers sometime in the early 1990s.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 26th, 2011, 8:47 pm
[ img ]

Not happy with any of the above models for the Bellona Klasse, I reworked the design with considerable help from heuhen's Type-D into something more appropriate, though with this larger size, it's likely that only 6 will be built after all. Eventual plans are still to upgrade the design with something like an I-mast, but no word on how long in the future this is planned.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1721 »

Jump to: