Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 8  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Type 20 Force!Posted: December 10th, 2014, 11:16 pm
Type 20 Force!

Not quite another Super Duke but more an Ultra Broadsword... Musing over things whilst reading through British Destroyers & Frigates. Decided to stretch the laws of plausibility a bit for this though. She runs on four Speys for 75,000shp or there about. Once again Sea Wolf has gone bye-bye as has the 4.5". Hangar has been revised to be flush both sides with suitable in-built gangplank / ladder. Quarterdeck has been enclosed as well know how much I hate open ones... A slight stretch has been incorporated into the design to allow for the all Spey fit as well as an extra smidge of beam (to around 50ft).
Whilst not as combat capable as the Super Dukes I foresee that they'd have been incorporated as flotilla leaders (in my own little world) or used for missions out in the Near / Far East with a detachment of Marines on board.
Anyhow, I think this is a damn sight better than my previous Type 22 kitbash from some time back.

[ img ]

~Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: (Notional) Super Type 23Posted: December 10th, 2014, 11:36 pm
nice.
a few comments remain though:
- the Mk 29 is the wrong way around, IIRC?
- the VARIANT radar is an surface search radar, but I have not yet seen it used in this way? I think it is meant more as an standalone radar.
- I do not think I have ever seen a ship with 2* Mk 29
- any chance of the Mk 48 VLS instead of the Mk 29? that would enable starstreak on the Mk 29 positions.
- does that merlin fit in the hangar :P
- does the T22 have the same sonars as the T23 IRL?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: (Notional) Super Type 23Posted: December 10th, 2014, 11:41 pm
- Yes, yes they are! That'll get fixed.
- I'm reasonably sure that Variant could be used as part of a system given the software integration.
- Well, it was double ended Sea Wolf vessel so why not NSSM/ESSM?
- Depending on what the magazine structure looks like for Sea Wolf (there's some ready missiles IIRC below the mount then the deep magazines). Then possibly Mk.48s could be used and had indeed already crossed my mind
- Possibly. There's a lot of conjecture about it. Various sources say they can ship *A* Merlin but I've yet to actually find photographic evidence for it.
- It does not, the idea was these would be being built in lieu of some or at the same time as the normal T23s ergo same sonar set.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: (Notional) Super Type 23Posted: December 10th, 2014, 11:46 pm
variant: I am sure it is possible, but I would not be certain what the benefit of it would be in this case above an regular commercial radar (like you have as well?) on the surface search.
double ended: no reason why not..... except money. it makes me ponder why the RN had double ended ships and all NSSM ships were single ended in this respect
you could place Mk 48 on a free bit of deck too (halifax class setup), in front of the bridge (replacing one on one the Mk 29 with more cells, and dualpack ESSM, which I am not certain if Mk 29 could do that) or next to the hangar, if you have any beam left there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: (Notional) Super Type 23Posted: December 11th, 2014, 12:24 am
The type 23 has two separately banded nav sets Type 1007 and 1008 for primary and secondary navigation as well as surface search and the like. Having Variant and Surface Scout replace the two in a SLEP maintains the separate banding as well as being able to do helicopter nav/control stuff and fire control support for the 5" gun.
It could I suppose be to do with firing arcs as Sea Wolf has a shorter operational range than its American counterpart. Though that said I'm not sure. Originally I had intended to bolt a Phalanx where the aft launcher is.
I'm not a fan of the above decks Mk.48s as it's more weight above the main-deck and more things to go pop on it, that said, better above than below decks...
As for the number of ESSM shipped per launcher ready to go, for some reason I'd got it into my head that they were multi-packable...

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: (Notional) Super Type 23Posted: December 11th, 2014, 6:00 am
Nice, what are the "missiles" above hagar in first ship of three? Decoys with their launcher this triagle thing?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: (Notional) Super Type 23Posted: December 11th, 2014, 10:04 am
They are (not sure if they're in order or not)

Chemring TALOS a thermal decoy
Chemring Sea Gnat II a chaff and RF decoy
Chemring Chimera IV a combined RF / IR payload decoy

All fired from http://www.chemringcm.com/~/media/Files ... turion.pdf this glorious bit of kit.

ETA:

Modifications to T22 carried out as follows:
*Single Mk48 replaces both Mk29s
*Seastreak well aft paired P&S
*Spike-NLOS added for light SSGW role (why not considering it's already in British service)
*Draught increased by a smidge from 6.4 to 6.5m due to increase of beam and length previously.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: (Notional) Super Type 23Posted: December 11th, 2014, 1:29 pm
I think I will use Centurion to my new ships from now on for launching missile decoys. Could you add it to parts sheet as a complete system to intergrate it correctly, please?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: (Notional) Super Type 23Posted: December 11th, 2014, 1:39 pm
I did that ages ago. It's on the first page of the Below Decks Parts Thread. It's a plug and play system in as much as you can plonk it anywhere, wire it up to your combat system and you're good to go.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: (Notional) Super Type 23Posted: December 11th, 2014, 1:55 pm
Ok, I will find it right now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 8  [ 80 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »

Jump to: