Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 13 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1521 »
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: December 8th, 2010, 8:13 am
Quote:
Erik_T and I have talked about this before and we think if anyone does this it's going to end up on a US destroyer as well, and might delay the introduction of AEGIS into the US fleet (if deployed early), then again AEGIS was delayed mostly by the time it took to get a hull designed for it in service so it might not delay it's introduction.

While the system I outlined gives you a bump up from the prior system, and comes into it's own in the 1980s, it's still has capabilities far far less than the AEGIS Combat System.
This is true, but it was quite sometime before Aegis was exported.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: December 9th, 2010, 12:20 am
Working on the redone Ariadne now. Is there anything preventing me from plugging in a Mk 13 where the box launcher is right now? I know that Mk 13 and 26 on the same vessel would be odd, but do you think there is room?

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: December 9th, 2010, 4:34 am
SpamBot 454 wrote:
Working on the redone Ariadne now. Is there anything preventing me from plugging in a Mk 13 where the box launcher is right now?
Deck penetration. There is stuff under that Mk-16.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: December 10th, 2010, 7:02 am
Well, originally, that was a gun position with the magazine and such under there. Originally, it was designed for a Mk 42, but ended up getting a TAK-120 instead in that position, (See that first drawing) so how much more space would the Mk 13 need compared to the gun?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: December 10th, 2010, 1:25 pm
Oh that box launcher. I was thinking of the midships Mk-16 ASROC matchbox launcher. The forward mount? That's a good question. You could defiantly get the Mk-22 in there, and you might be able to get the Mk-13 in there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 14th, 2011, 2:11 am
Greetings all! Some rather unfortunate developements removed me from being online, but those are now clearing up, with any luck, and I hope to be posting soon. I've restructured the RZM in the meantime around 3 battlegroups, each comprising of the following:

1 Modified Cavour class CVL
1 Staadt Klasse BCG
2 Dido Klasse CG
4 Cybele Klasse FFG
2 Ondine or Modified Ondine Klasse SSN

This is in addition to the Medusa Klasse FFGs, the Haai Klasse SSKs, and 9 MCMVs which I have determined to be of the Landsort Class.

I'm deleting the Athene/Horizon Klasse DDG as these and the Cybele Klasse are rather redundant, and instead working on figuring out a good Dido Klasse replacement, as these will be ready for replacement by the 2020s.

Some smaller vessels will be worked out, including an oceangoing class of corvettes which will replace the Medusas and with any luck some OPVs as well. I'm thinking of adding 12 of those Austrailian Armidale PBs (with slightly different armament fit and the bugs fixed). Otherwise, fixing the FRAM DDs and Ariadne DDGs will be early projects.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 18th, 2011, 3:20 pm
[ img ]

While the RZM prides itself on its blue water navy, the mission of coastal protection still remains, something which in the past had been carried out by FACs, but now that many of the older ones were obsolete, the decision was made to replace them with a more capable platform. The first choice was a downgraded version of the Cybele Klass FFG without the APAR, and optimized for littorial operations. The Monarchy, however, rejected this proposal and instead ordered the RZM to procure a class of corvette. The choices came down to the German Type 130 or a modified MOASIC design, and the latter was chosen, initially to the tune of 6 vessels, later increased to 9.

One intended role of the class is to act as leaders for the remaining FACs, providing longer range air defence than what those platforms are capable of, as well as helo support and targeting.

((I wasn't really sure of the choice of radar on these vessels--SMART-S Mk II seems capable enough, but a tad large. Later vessels of the class might instead have a variant of the I-Mast. Otherwise, while it appears I've used the old mount, this actually a locally manufactured variant of the OTO 76mm DART D))

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 18th, 2011, 4:20 pm
Seems to be really heavy! The mast is larger then the ship it self as compartision :P

[Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 18th, 2011, 5:41 pm
I'm not happy with the mast, and looking at alternatives as I speak.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: February 18th, 2011, 7:52 pm
Have to head off to work, but my concept has evolved a bit. I'm thinking of doing an I-mast type thing with the SMART-S on top, then the center of the mast will have directors for the ESSM. I assume they will just look like panels? (I don't know on an I-Mast which panel does what..)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 13 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1521 »

Jump to: