Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 32 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page « 130 31 32 33 3447 »
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 4th, 2014, 8:23 am
Edited the carriers' engines

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 4th, 2014, 12:13 pm
Zmeya class Destroyer
This was the class that took over from the Kämpfer class. If the Rossiyan Navy liked the Kämpfers, they absolutely loved the Zmeya class destroyers. They were larger than any contemporary destroyer class even the large Fletcher class. They were all armed with ten 5inch guns and ten 610 mm torpedo tube launchers as their main armaments. As for their secondary armaments, they had 24x40mm anti-air guns, 15x25mm anti-air guns, depth charges. These destroyers were also fast at 43.5 knots as their top speed thanks to their 4 boilers and two steam turbo-electric turbines creating 75000shp. They were not protected with any armour. They were in every theater of war during the Second World War. There 225 of these warships from 1942 to the 1980s (last commissioned destroyer was in the Republic of Germany, DMS Gerhard Barkhorn or former RFS Hauptmann in 1989). These ships had a crew of 205 sailors. Unfortunately 15 of these ships sunk in combat.
This is RFS Zmeya in her 1942 configuration as she first appeared with her sister ships in 1942.
[ img ]
By 1944, the destroyers excluding RFS Grenadier & RFS Donner sunk in the Atlantic; RFS Maschinengewehr and RFS Sturmgewehr sunk in the Mediterranean; RFS Okhranniki sunk in the Battle of the Coral Sea; RFS Granata sunk in the Battle off Midway; RFS Strelok sunk in the Battle of Santa Cruz; RFS Jaeger, RFS Boyevoy sunk in the Battle of Savo Island; RFS Feldwebel sunk in the Battle of Cape Esperance. RFS Krieger sunk in Battle of Tassafaronga; RFS Serzhant sunk in the Japanese Operation I-Go, were upgraded with better electronics. Three other ships, RFS Haubitze, RFS Schütze, RFS Belagerung as they sunk in the Battle off Samar later)
[ img ]

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on December 4th, 2014, 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 4th, 2014, 12:37 pm
Hi Oberst,

A quick question - you've built 215 of these (presumably during the war, as after the war you'd have a massive number that just weren't needed and you'd presumably want to start from a design that worked towards missile ships, etc, etc) - and you lost only 2? By way of comparison, the USN built 175 units of the Fletcher-class and lost 25! Have I misunderstood the numbers?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 4th, 2014, 1:23 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Oberst,

A quick question - you've built 215 of these (presumably during the war, as after the war you'd have a massive number that just weren't needed and you'd presumably want to start from a design that worked towards missile ships, etc, etc) - and you lost only 2? By way of comparison, the USN built 175 units of the Fletcher-class and lost 25! Have I misunderstood the numbers?

Regards,
Adam
I have redone the ship list of the Rossiyan WW2 Navy. I have also changed the number of ships sunk, Adams.
I hope it is more realistic now.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 4th, 2014, 1:40 pm
Quote:
DMS Erich Raeder
Hah!he FGR actually naming a vessel for a convicted war criminal...I don't think so!

And, no, your numbers are still extremely wildly exaggerated, I'm sorry to say... not even close to minimally realistic.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 4th, 2014, 5:32 pm
I think you need to rewrite the pacific war (actually the whole of WW2 post at least 41) as soon as Rossiya joins in the navel side of the war is effectively over due to numbers of ships on the RN/USN/RRN side.

This will change all the battles and make the allies more forward and willing to risk. (not that it matters as even losing they will attrition the IJN/etc too much for it to survive)

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 4th, 2014, 11:30 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Quote:
DMS Erich Raeder
Hah!he FGR actually naming a vessel for a convicted war criminal...I don't think so!

And, no, your numbers are still extremely wildly exaggerated, I'm sorry to say... not even close to minimally realistic.
I have changed the name and that was not the FGR's ship but Rossiya influenced zone called the Republic of Germany (RoG)'s ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 4th, 2014, 11:32 pm
JSB wrote:
I think you need to rewrite the pacific war (actually the whole of WW2 post at least 41) as soon as Rossiya joins in the navel side of the war is effectively over due to numbers of ships on the RN/USN/RRN side.

This will change all the battles and make the allies more forward and willing to risk. (not that it matters as even losing they will attrition the IJN/etc too much for it to survive)

JSB
I will do that soon

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 5th, 2014, 12:00 am
could you explain to me how you get twice the amount of main guns, 3 times the amount of 40mm, twice the amount of tertiary guns (of a larger size then the 25mm of the fletcher), a higher top speed, the same amount of torpedo tubes, and a double set of fire control equipment compared with the fletcher class, which was already an big destroyer for it's time, into an destroyer? the hull size and arnament seems to match, but I do not think it is still an destroyer. the displacement should logically be more then twice that of an fletcher, leaving it at more then 4000 tons.
if I compare it for example with an atlanta class light cruiser, it has lesser 5in guns, (10 instead of 16,) 50% more 40mm guns, almost 3 times the amount of tertiary guns (again also of an larger caliber), more torpedo tubes, a higher top speed, but the same amount of power to get to that speed. but the atlanta class was about the same length.

combining the above, your ship would most likely go 35 knots max, would be 5000 tons or more, and would not be build in such numbers because it would be too costly. in addition, the ship would most likely receive some armour for the same reason. even if classified as destroyer, she would still have running costs, crew cost and building costs of an light cruiser.

so yeah, on first glance this destroyer is less bad then most of your other designs, but realism is still not there.

a question from me, btw: why is the destroyer electrically driven? shortening the shaft lines? industrial availability of gear cutting? I see no other reasons for a ship of this time era and this type to have turbine-electric drive, and in any case I do not think it is worth it unless it is forced upon you by circumstances.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 5th, 2014, 1:10 am
acelanceloet wrote:
could you explain to me how you get twice the amount of main guns, 3 times the amount of 40mm, twice the amount of tertiary guns (of a larger size then the 25mm of the fletcher), a higher top speed, the same amount of torpedo tubes, and a double set of fire control equipment compared with the fletcher class, which was already an big destroyer for it's time, into an destroyer? the hull size and arnament seems to match, but I do not think it is still an destroyer. the displacement should logically be more then twice that of an fletcher, leaving it at more then 4000 tons.
if I compare it for example with an atlanta class light cruiser, it has lesser 5in guns, (10 instead of 16,) 50% more 40mm guns, almost 3 times the amount of tertiary guns (again also of an larger caliber), more torpedo tubes, a higher top speed, but the same amount of power to get to that speed. but the atlanta class was about the same length.

combining the above, your ship would most likely go 35 knots max, would be 5000 tons or more, and would not be build in such numbers because it would be too costly. in addition, the ship would most likely receive some armour for the same reason. even if classified as destroyer, she would still have running costs, crew cost and building costs of an light cruiser.

so yeah, on first glance this destroyer is less bad then most of your other designs, but realism is still not there.

a question from me, btw: why is the destroyer electrically driven? shortening the shaft lines? industrial availability of gear cutting? I see no other reasons for a ship of this time era and this type to have turbine-electric drive, and in any case I do not think it is worth it unless it is forced upon you by circumstances.
Okay I will modify the destroyer to make it more sensible. I will remove the 40 mm anti-air cannons and I will reduce the speed and reduce the crew

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 32 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 130 31 32 33 3447 »

Jump to: