Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 31 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page « 129 30 31 32 3347 »
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 27th, 2014, 10:23 pm
Quote:
Gornikovna class heavy cruiser REEDIT
This heavy cruiser class was deemed the most ugliest cruiser class the world has ever seen but it was also one of the most powerful cruisers. It was named after General Tasha "Tanker" Gornikovna, commander of Rossiya Army's first armoured division. The cruiser class has fifteen 8 inch guns and eight 610 mm torpedo tubes for its main armaments. Its secondary armaments is made of 18x5 inch guns, 8x100mm anti-air cannons, 16x40mm anti-air cannons, 36x25 mm anti-air cannons. It is powered by 10 heavy boilers powering 10 steam turbo electric turbines, producing 40,000 hp each totaling to 160 MW or 215,000 shp which gives it a top speed of 33 knots. This class had 6.25 inches of belt armour at its thickest and the deck armour is 3.5 inches thick. These crews are manned by 1950 sailors. The one of these cruiser weighted 24000 long tons. There were twenty of these ugly warships at sea by 1943.
This is how RFS Gornikovna and her sister ships' configuration when they appeared in 1942.
[ img ]
In 1944, the cruisers underwent modernization and the radars and electronics were replaced or upgraded.
[ img ]
I have redone the fire control radars, the number of main guns, the number of turbines, type of turbines and I have edited the numbers of 5 inch gun turrets on the Gornikovna class cruiser.

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on November 27th, 2014, 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 27th, 2014, 10:38 pm
Hi Ace,

Many thanks for the explanation, makes much more sense now. Would a turbo-electric design be able to drop SSTGs by way of compensation for the clunky electric transmission?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 27th, 2014, 10:42 pm
well, that would be an IEP system, and IIRC that was not done because of the even clunkier converters and electric control equipment of the time. computers made that possible these days :P

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 27th, 2014, 10:52 pm
I have a question,
Can someone tell me what SSTG, IEP and IIRC stand for ? :?:
I am really bad with acronyms :?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 27th, 2014, 10:57 pm
SSTG: ship service turbine generators
IEP: integrated electric propulsion
IIRC: If I recall correctly

[Profile] [Quote]
Dmitri97
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 27th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Is it really feasible to have 20 guns on either of your ships? The most 8in guns I've heard about have been 8 or 9, twelve could be done, but 20 seems over the top. And I've heard of only 15 6in guns being the most. Maybe the light cruiser could get away with that many, but the heavy cruiser has over twice as many guns as other heavy cruisers of that time. I wouldn't even consider it a heavy cruiser anymore with that heavy an armament, seems more like a low caliber battlecruiser. Also, you seem to have the most numerous and powerful navy on earth in your au, and it would seem you have more warships than most of the other major powers combined. How plausible is this? The cost must be astronomical. Just my humble opinion.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 27th, 2014, 11:35 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
SSTG: ship service turbine generators
IEP: integrated electric propulsion
IIRC: If I recall correctly
Thanks for the acronym guide, Ace.
Dmitri97 wrote:
Is it really feasible to have 20 guns on either of your ships? The most 8in guns I've heard about have been 8 or 9, twelve could be done, but 20 seems over the top. And I've heard of only 15 6in guns being the most. Maybe the light cruiser could get away with that many, but the heavy cruiser has over twice as many guns as other heavy cruisers of that time. I wouldn't even consider it a heavy cruiser anymore with that heavy an armament, seems more like a low caliber battlecruiser. Also, you seem to have the most numerous and powerful navy on earth in your au, and it would seem you have more warships than most of the other major powers combined. How plausible is this? The cost must be astronomical. Just my humble opinion

I have reduced the number of guns on the Gornikovna

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 28th, 2014, 4:13 am
Kunetova class Aircraft Carrier
This class was the replacement for the Vostok class aircraft carrier. The class was named after the state capital of Kunetova, Kunetova. It was the largest aircraft carrier class beating the Essex class. This is because Rossiyan needed an carrier that was capable of launching their larger and heavier carrier bombers. These carriers were carrying a hundred aircraft and armed with eighteen 5 inch guns. The secondary armaments of these carriers are 36x 90mm anti-air cannons, 64x50mm anti-air guns, 122x40mm anti-air cannons, 220x20mm anti-air guns. The aircraft carriers were also armoured with 5 inches of belt armour and 2 inches of deck armour. These carriers were powered by 10 heavy duty boilers powering 4 steam turbo-electric turbines creating 116MW or 155000 shp which gave the carriers a top speed of 33 knots. These carriers weighted 65,000 long tons. These carriers each were manned by 3450 sailors. There were 15 of these carriers.
This is how RFS Kunetova and how her sisters ship look like when they all appeared in 1942.
[ img ]
These carriers were then modernized in 1944 with upgrade of radars
[ img ]

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on December 4th, 2014, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 28th, 2014, 7:44 am
I am looking into this AU from the beginning. Your ships are not bad (just need "refinement" as experienced members suggest). However, my advice is to cut down ship number to reasonable numbers. For your carrier, 155000 hp could de developed by 8 boilers and 4 of your steam turbo-electric turbines. Many small steam turbines are much less effiecient than few large.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 28th, 2014, 11:26 am
It's worth noting that as a turbo-electric ship, the number of turbines doesn't have to relate to the number of shafts at all, I think - you could just as easily have a single massive turbine and no redundancy whatsoever, though if you have diesel-electrics for hotel and cruising even that might be acceptable (I wouldn't personally, but I could see an argument of sorts for it).

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 31 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 129 30 31 32 3347 »

Jump to: