Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 27 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2947 »
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 11:43 am
acelanceloet wrote:
seeing the position of the boilers (by the funnels) and the length between the turrets and the funnels (being the position of the turbines) the boilers won't be able to give enough power to really get any use out of that turbine space. on the other hand, the funnels are so close together that the boilers can be taken out by a single hit, which would blow this ship back to destroyer standards, armoured or not. this, combined with the 230m length (which would make this ship be in the same league of size as the alaska class) and the 8 different types of gun turrets (not counting the TT) makes me wonder what this ship is supposed to do.
Sorry for the delay in response, the Tesla class cruiser were powered by diesel engines not steam turbines and boilers. In the Rossiyan Navy, the battleships, the battlecruisers, the heavy cruisers and the submarines are powered by diesel engines while the aircraft carriers, the light cruisers, the light carriers and the destroyers of the Rossiyan Navy.
And I am sorry for the delay

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 11:46 am
so, what is in that space I marked as turbine rooms? the diesels are near the funnels, so all that space aft of it is where the shafts run trough to the propellers......
why not fill this in more efficiently?

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 12:49 pm
I will add another smokestack

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 1:01 pm
Tesla class Heavy Cruiser
The Rossiyan Navy was not happy with the mediocre performance of the Jodl class cruisers; hence Rossiyan Navy's eagerness to shove the Jodl class cruisers into the Rossiyan Reserve Fleet. Work began on a newer heavy cruiser design. The result was the Tesla class heavy cruiser which was more larger since by 1937, the Naval Treaties signed to prevent a naval arm race was torn up by Japan. The new cruiser class had the same gun layout with its predecessor but it had more torpedo launchers with bigger torpedoes. It had better anti-air guns and it was more spread out than its predecessor. It had better engines and had a better top speed at 37 knots. She was well protected with 8 inches of belt armour at it's thickest and 4 inches of deck armour. Ten of these ships were built as to not raise to much of alarm.
[ img ]
Later in 1941, just a year before Rossiya joined the war, the Tesla class cruisers were given a electronics upgrade with the installation of radar.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 9:06 pm
An 8-inch belt and 4-inch deck? Wow, that's as good as Kongo!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 9:07 pm
I doubt you're going to make 37 knots with that much weight on there. Ever.

Last edited by Blackbuck on November 23rd, 2014, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 11:30 pm
Just a few comments if you don't mind ;) (all just IMO its your AU)

Generally you have,
1) too big a range of weapons (IJN + USN + other) often in the same (or similar calibre doing the same job)
2) your ships are to advanced for date (and use systems that are to modern)
3) They are to big to fit (unless you radically change all the fleets in the world)
4) They are individually overweight and very tight.

Examples,(with numbers from above)

Arachne class
Type: 1930s light cruisers - Inspired by: Mogami class, tight already and now defiantly over 10,000t and still might not fit 16x6inch+ (3/4)

Kämpfer class - to early (2) Construction Period: 1935-1936 Number built: 100(Inspired by Sims class destroyer 37-40 Completed: 12 ;) ) , this ship is unique in that it has to few types of gun (no 2nd light guns)

Vostok CV - (4/3)+ why the 90mm (1)

Tesla class heavy cruiser - How much does she weight she is more BC than CA ;) (3+4)8, this also has way to many types of gun I count 8 ! (1)

Morskoye super BB - How much does she weight ! and she will still not fit everything and make that speed (30 or 36 ? Kn ) ;) (3+4)8, this also has way to many types of gun mount I count 7 (1)

Overall you are building more than the USN +RN + (well the rest is really irrelevant but still to much for anything short of a world dominating empire) This will totally change history due to making all of WW2 at sea irrelevant.

(it would also be a good idea to put a full list of all the ships in one post to make them clear what and when they are built its hard to read at the moment with different version overlapping, you could edit the latest versions onto the first page ? )
JSB

Last edited by JSB on November 24th, 2014, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 24th, 2014, 10:17 am
Hi OberstAmiruddin,

I do have another query - the Tesla class looks to be about Scharnhorst-size (using German references because that's the stuff I've been looking at for the AU I'm doing) but the armament seems to be Hipper-type or thereabouts - that's quite a lot of ship for not necessarily a lot of gun. Would combat effectiveness perhaps be helped by concentrating on fewer, bigger, guns?

Also, I'm not sure diesel engines will provide sufficient oomph to get the ship to the quoted speed - diesels in that period were quite big for the power generated, iirc - again, using German ships as a reference, everything above the Deutschland-class (i.e., 14,500 tonnes full load) used turbines - the Deutschlands were generating about 39MW motive power where as the next closest, the Hippers were generating 98MW on a hull 4,000 tonnes heavier and that only got them 32kn as opposed to 28kn.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 26th, 2014, 1:54 am
Alright, I will do one change from 1939 onwards, Rossiya switches from using diesel to power their heavy warships to the conventional steam turbine engines because they wanted to be able to have better control over their own waters, which meant that the Tesla class were the last class to have diesel engines

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 26th, 2014, 1:57 am
Morskoye class battleship redone
This behemoth of the seas was second class battleships, the Rossiyans built during the Second World War. This class named after Grand Admiral Hans von Morskoye, commander in chief of the Rossiyan Navy when Rossiya first declared its independence. It was a massive battleship class which was armed with 12x16 inch guns which were capable or reaching out to 36 km. This class of battleships were also bristling with secondary armaments which were 20x5 inch guns, 10x100mm anti-air guns, 52x40mm anti-air cannons, 108x25mm anti-air cannons. They were adequately armoured with 16 inches of belt armour at it's thickest and its deck armour was 9.5 inches thick. It had ten heavy duty boilers powering 6xsteam turbine engines created 180,000 shp or 134 MW. This class of battleship has a top speed of 30 knots. It had a range of 17000 nm at 15 knots. It had a massive crew of about 2650 sailors. This one of battleships weigh 70,000 long tons (empty) and 76000 long ton (full). There were 15 of these "Monster of the Sea" by the end of 1942. Rossiya or to precise Rossiyan sailors also started the bow art trend with this class of ships, with the first on the RFS Morskoye.
This is RFS Morskoye in 1942 as she was commissioned, her sisters built exactly the same
[ img ]
Later in 1944, they received better electronics and radars and this is what they look like after the modernization
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 27 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2947 »

Jump to: