Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 25 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page « 123 24 25 26 2747 »
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 10:12 pm
apdsmith wrote:
OberstAmiruddin wrote:
The Japanese mounts you see house 125 mm cannons not 127 mm cannons, they just look the same.
Hi Oberst,

Understand that, but my comment was more on carrying two entirely incompatible types of artillery that are going to serve more-or-less the same purpose. For instance, once you've run out of 5"/38 (now that you have to have magazine space dedicated to 125mm, you're surely not going to be able to carry the same amount of 5"/38 ammo) do you just accept that you'll be unable to engage distant targets forward? Or, worse, do you reduce the quantity of 125mm carried and risk leaving yourself entirely unprotected aft? They stopped the practice of carrying many different calibres as far as possible prior to WWI, partly as a result of analysis of battles in 1905.

Regards,
Adam
Then I will concede and change the calibre of the Japanese mounts to 5 inch guns but they carry the same type of ammunition as they share the same barrel

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 10:51 pm
Hi Oberst,

Or you could change the 5"/38 mounts over to 125mm, if you want to go with that upgrade, as well - keeping the same battery would be advisable (not just in terms of logistics, incidentally, but also in terms of ballistics - your directors will have a much easier time only having a calculate a single set of shell flight paths, no?), I think, but that doesn't enforce any sort of preference as to which battery that is.

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 10:57 pm
That can be done I have decided to have both the American secondary turrets and the Japanese anti-air mounts armed with 5 inch guns firing the same shell type which a multipurpose shell

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 10:58 pm
Tesla class Heavy Cruiser
The Rossiyan Navy was not happy with the mediocre performance of the Jodl class cruisers; hence Rossiyan Navy's eagerness to shove the Jodl class cruisers into the Rossiyan Reserve Fleet. Work began on a newer heavy cruiser design. The result was the Tesla class heavy cruiser which was more larger since by 1937, the Naval Treaties signed to prevent a naval arm race was torn up by Japan. The new cruiser class had the same gun layout with its predecessor but it had more torpedo launchers with bigger torpedoes. It had better anti-air guns and it was more spread out than its predecessor. It had better engines and had a better top speed at 37 knots. She was well protected with 8 inches of belt armour at it's thickest and 4 inches of deck armour. Ten of these ships were built as to not raise to much of alarm.
[ img ]
Later in 1941, just a year before Rossiya joined the war, the Tesla class cruisers were given a electronics upgrade with the installation of radar.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 11:11 pm
Hi Oberst,

Another query, I'm afraid - I'm really not trying to pick your AU apart, I comment on it because I find it genuinely interesting - armour belt on the Tesla class appears to stop short of both 'A' and 'Y' turrets, can you confirm?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 11:28 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Oberst,

Another query, I'm afraid - I'm really not trying to pick your AU apart, I comment on it because I find it genuinely interesting - armour belt on the Tesla class appears to stop short of both 'A' and 'Y' turrets, can you confirm?

Regards,
Adam
I see the error and I will fix it now

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 11:30 pm
Tesla class Heavy Cruiser (Redone)
The Rossiyan Navy was not happy with the mediocre performance of the Jodl class cruisers; hence Rossiyan Navy's eagerness to shove the Jodl class cruisers into the Rossiyan Reserve Fleet. Work began on a newer heavy cruiser design. The result was the Tesla class heavy cruiser which was more larger since by 1937, the Naval Treaties signed to prevent a naval arm race was torn up by Japan. The new cruiser class had the same gun layout with its predecessor but it had more torpedo launchers with bigger torpedoes. It had better anti-air guns and it was more spread out than its predecessor. It had better engines and had a better top speed at 37 knots. She was well protected with 8 inches of belt armour at it's thickest and 4 inches of deck armour. Ten of these ships were built as to not raise to much of alarm.
[ img ]
Later in 1941, just a year before Rossiya joined the war, the Tesla class cruisers were given a electronics upgrade with the installation of radar.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 11:35 pm
seeing the position of the boilers (by the funnels) and the length between the turrets and the funnels (being the position of the turbines) the boilers won't be able to give enough power to really get any use out of that turbine space. on the other hand, the funnels are so close together that the boilers can be taken out by a single hit, which would blow this ship back to destroyer standards, armoured or not. this, combined with the 230m length (which would make this ship be in the same league of size as the alaska class) and the 8 different types of gun turrets (not counting the TT) makes me wonder what this ship is supposed to do.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 11:36 pm
Tesla class Heavy Cruiser (Redone)
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 12:07 am
Rossiyan Aircraft Carriers of World War 2
  • Vostok class
    1. Type: 1930s aircraft carrier
      Namesake: City of Vostok
      Construction Period: 1935-1936
      Main Armaments: 80xaircraft, 20x5 inch guns
      Secondary Armaments: 12x90mm anti-air cannons, 56x40mm anti-air cannons, 84x25mm anti-air cannons
      Inspired by: Lexington class aircraft carrier
      Numbers built: 5
      Current Status: 2 preserved as museum ship, 1 given to the Republic of Germany, 1 given to the India as a independence gift, 1 lost in action (RFS Rusefin, Battle of Midway)
    Kunetova class
    1. Type: 1940s class
      Namesake: State capital of Kunetova, Kunetova
      Construction Period: 1940-1942
      Main Armaments: 100xaircraft, 36x5 inch guns
      Secondary armaments: 36x 90mm anti-air cannons, 64x40mm anti-air guns, 122x35mm anti-air cannons, 220x20 anti-air guns
      Inspired by: Essex class aircraft carrier
      Numbers built: 15
      Current Status: 2 preserved as museum ships, 10 in the Rossiyan Reserve Fleet, 2 in the Rossiyan National Naval Guard, 1 sunk as a artificial reef

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 25 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 123 24 25 26 2747 »

Jump to: