Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 19 of 20  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page « 116 17 18 19 20 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 3:06 am
ailgin wrote:
This seems to happen quite often with colombamike.
A gross understatement, my friend. ;)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 7:59 am
Hood wrote:
What were the missile systems proposed for Jean Bart?
The book only mentions the Terrier, but that seems to be separate and later from the A-E proposals. The launching ramps seem to indicate something else (3 ramps for Proposal A for example). I'm just wondering if the system wasn't something like the Oerlikon-Contraves RCS? There was a naval version proposed and Friedman has a drawing of such a layout for a British export cruiser for Venezuela. Not sure on dates, but the RCS series was still being developed around 1957-58. Its smaller missile and launcher could more easily explain the kinds of high magazine rounds quoted for these proposals.
Novice wrote:
Hood question about the Proposal A made me think if the French were considering buying Sea Slug which originally was meant to have a triple launcher (the same one which was installed on the test ship Girdle Ness). This might be an interesting idea, although I don't think it was a real contender.
Think 1956-1958 era:
The French never seriously considered the British missiles system simply because by 1957-1958 the Seaslug system was still under early testing (aka non-operationnal & not "proven") and that for the French, the Seaslug system look much more "cumbersome" (system size & weight) that the US Terrier...
And by 1956-1958 the French "home-made" missiles under development (Masurca, Masalca...) was still on very early testing (prototypes phase).

So, for Jean-Bart as a BBG, the French only seriously considered the Terrier system

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 9:10 am
No I don't think its Seaslug given the totals listed for the magazines. But then it doesn't sound anything like Terrier either.

Proposal A: 3x launching ramps, horizontal loading 45 degrees, 24-44 missiles
Proposal B: 6x launching ramps, vertical loading, 75-150 missiles
Proposal C: 6x launching ramps, vertical loading, 75-90 missiles
Proposal D: 3-4x launching ramps, 125 missiles, removal of one 380mm turret
Proposal E: 3-4x launching ramps, 325 missiles, removal of both 380mm turrets
Since when has Terrier used ramps, and these very large numbers of missiles indicate to me a smaller missile, these are unmatched by any post-war SAM battery I've ever seen quoted anywhere for any US system.

The only Terrier proposal by name is the last one, the one with 3 missiles as some kind of training system.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 9:41 am
Hood wrote:
No I don't think its Seaslug given the totals listed for the magazines. But then it doesn't sound anything like Terrier either.Since when has Terrier used ramps, and these very large numbers of missiles indicate to me a smaller missile, these are unmatched by any post-war SAM battery I've ever seen quoted anywhere for any US system. The only Terrier proposal by name is the last one, the one with 3 missiles as some kind of training system.
What you did not understand (like Ace) is that these A to E solutions were only the "early" studies (not the final one's !)
These proposals are "general", without determining the specific type of missile carried
I suspect even worse ! That this book is wrong ! :roll: :?
These A to E proposals maybe not date from 1958.....but more likely "around 1953 to 1956"
(by 1953-1956 the exact type of missile is fully completely uncertain, even maybe still considered a thinner improved German V1 style guided-rocket...(same as the US during 1946-1952))

I have other sources that this book
(and these sources are french shipyards-archives dating from 1957 to 1961*)

* By late 1961, the french navy no longer considered "cost-effective" a BBG conversion of Jean-Bart

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 12:33 pm
"I have other sources that this book (and these sources are french shipyards-archives dating from 1957 to 1961*)"
The full title of the book is 'French Battleships 1922 - 1956, so it is no surprise that later proposals are not included.
I think the 1957 and 1958 dates in the book are intended to be the dates when the projects described would have been implemented, not when they were first considered. As you say " these A to E solutions were only the "early" studies (not the final one's !)"
[I know from having my own research edited, that one of the authors is very careful over details, and the other has a high reputation]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 1:09 pm
Thanks, I'd gathered myself that these were early studies, that's the whole point - they predate the planned use of Terrier and the only Terrier plan I can see is obviously a training system, not the kind of double-launcher set-up for air defence shown on David's drawing.

I wondered if the missile, if it wasn't the RSC series I had initially thought, might have been an early form of Mascura or Maruca. The latter seems to have been a short-range type that never made it very far.
Whatever the case, I see no evidence to support that the conversion David has drawn is anything other than an own-design. Though I would like to see some of these early proposals drawn if more info could be found.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 1:31 pm
yes, I would be most interested in seeing those early plans, which would indeed be an full missile conversion, in some plans even with the removal of the 380mm turrets.

something interesting; wikipedia lists the following:
- or later to transform her into a guided missile battleship as had been USS Mississippi (but no French-built missile existed at that time, so it was proposed to use the U.S. Terrier missile)
with 'Dumas, Robert (2001a). Le cuirassé Jean Bart 1939–1970' as source.

the missisipi being an training, testing and development ship, it would make a lot of sense with the 3-missile magazine mentioned above. the 2 full launcher setup on the other hand would not.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 3:12 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 4:57 pm
Colombamike wrote:
meaning?

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 11th, 2014, 5:12 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
Colombamike wrote:
meaning?
Meaning he's being a dick again. I wonder why we keep him around.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 19 of 20  [ 197 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 116 17 18 19 20 »

Jump to: