Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 24 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page « 122 23 24 25 2647 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 10th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Does that have offset (or 3) props ? ;)

Would the RNNG not look like the RRN (apart from close up markings) just to make it easier to recognise them ? reduce the chance of BonB would they not want to look like allied ships (USN/RN) is they are working with them in war time at least.

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 10th, 2014, 11:28 pm
Yeah the blue colour scheme was used prior the war and after war the Rossiyan National Naval Guard, returned to the blue colour scheme. The RNNG served mainly in the theatres, Rossiya deemed secondary, which were the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and the European theatres.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 11th, 2014, 1:02 am
Hi OberstAmiruddin,

While, given the size of your navy, there's no particular requirement to work with the Americans (or anybody, in fact, if the 55+ capital ship figure - before CVs - stands!) wouldn't Rossiya have been involved in the Cairo or Tehran conferences on strategy - they're certainly of a size to be a major player and it would be weird if not represented and therefore forming some part of a grand strategy...

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 11th, 2014, 1:18 am
apdsmith wrote:
Hi OberstAmiruddin,

While, given the size of your navy, there's no particular requirement to work with the Americans (or anybody, in fact, if the 55+ capital ship figure - before CVs - stands!) wouldn't Rossiya have been involved in the Cairo or Tehran conferences on strategy - they're certainly of a size to be a major player and it would be weird if not represented and therefore forming some part of a grand strategy...

Regards,
Adam
I will do the AU versions of those Conferences soon but first I will post all the modernized 1930s ships first, then the Cassablanca and Tehran conferences, then come 1940s warships and everything that happen after World War 2 to the modern era

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 18th, 2014, 6:54 am
Now for the Torivok class Battlecruiser. Ten years after they were first built, the battlecruisers were given more anti-air guns, eight 125 mm anti-air guns and twenty seven 25 mm anti-air guns
[ img ]
In 1942, the only modifications were the addition of radar.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 18th, 2014, 2:17 pm
Hi Oberst,

The battlecruiser looks nice, but I think you've got quite poor fire arcs for your 25mm - they all seem to be clustered forward, if I'm seeing this correctly, can you confirm?

Also, you appear to have US 5"/38 and IJN 127mm mounted, again, apologies if I'm missing something, but would this not make ammo supply needlessly complex?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 18th, 2014, 3:24 pm
It's basically a case of attempting to cram in too much weaponry on the limited hull space/volume. There are guns in implausible places, such as adjacent to the catapults, and the cluster of AA-guns around the forward main armament will surely take a beating when those guns are fired.
In order to create a more plausible design, the number of guns ought to be drastically cut, and their overall positioning should be revised. Also, the blend (misch-masch) of IJN and USN weaponry is very strange, and not very plausible, in my view.
Take a look at my Thevai-design (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1970&hilit=Thevai&start=60) for a cruiser-type, forceful enough, but not bristling with guns in every inconceivable spots!

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 11:09 am
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Oberst,

The battlecruiser looks nice, but I think you've got quite poor fire arcs for your 25mm - they all seem to be clustered forward, if I'm seeing this correctly, can you confirm?

Also, you appear to have US 5"/38 and IJN 127mm mounted, again, apologies if I'm missing something, but would this not make ammo supply needlessly complex?

Regards,
Adam
The Japanese mounts you see house 125 mm cannons not 127 mm cannons, they just look the same.
bezobrazov wrote:
It's basically a case of attempting to cram in too much weaponry on the limited hull space/volume. There are guns in implausible places, such as adjacent to the catapults, and the cluster of AA-guns around the forward main armament will surely take a beating when those guns are fired.
In order to create a more plausible design, the number of guns ought to be drastically cut, and their overall positioning should be revised. Also, the blend (misch-masch) of IJN and USN weaponry is very strange, and not very plausible, in my view.
Take a look at my Thevai-design (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1970&hilit=Thevai&start=60) for a cruiser-type, forceful enough, but not bristling with guns in every inconceivable spots!
Yes, I agree to that but have decided not to edit the Torivok because the Rossiyan Navy never used had men in those 25 mm cannons, they were experimental remote control guns and the Rossiyan Navy thought the best way to test those guns for shock proof and these guns passed the test and remained on the warships

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 1:38 pm
Now the heavy cruisers of the Rossiyan Navy of World War 2
  • Jodl class
    1. Type: Early 1930s Heavy Cruiser
      Namesake: Commodore Heidi Jodl
      Construction: 1929-1930
      Main Armaments: 12x8 inch guns, 4x580mm torpedo tube launchers
      Secondary Armaments: 4x120mm anti-air guns, 42x20mm anti-air cannons
      Inspired by: Myoukou class cruiser, Exeter class cruiser
      Number Built: 10
      Current Status: Shoved into the Rossiyan Reserve Fleet in 1934, 2 scrapped in 1945, 2 sunk as gunnery target practice, 2 sunk as bombing targets, 2 sold to Brazil and Republic of Germany (Rossiyan sector of Germany turned Rossiyan supported state in 1948), 2 given to the Americans for Operation Crossroads
    Tesla Class
    1. Type: Late 1930s Heavy Cruiser
      Namesake: Lieutenant Justin Tesla
      Construction Period: 1937-1938
      Main Armament: 12x8 inch guns, 6x610mm torpedo tube launchers
      Secondary Armaments: 6x5 inch guns, 2x90 mm anti-air cannons, 16x45 mm anti-air cannons, 54x25 mm anti-air cannons, 8x15 mm anti-air cannons
      Inspired By: Wichita class cruiser, Scharnhorst class cruiser
      Number built:10
      Current status: 1 as museum ship, 5 in the Rossiyan Reserve Fleet, 4 scrapped
    Gornikovna class
    1. Type: 1940s Heavy Cruiser
      Namesake: General Tasha Gornikovna
      Construction Period: 1940-1942
      Main Armaments: 20x8 inch guns, 8x610 mm torpedo tube launchers
      Secondary Armaments: 15x5 inch guns, 8x100mm anti-air cannons, 16x40mm anti-air cannons, 36x25 mm anti-air cannons
      Inspired By: Takao class cruiser, Admiral Hipper class cruiser
      Number Built: 20
      Current status: 2 as museum class, 10 in Rossiyan Reserve Fleet, 5 in Rossiyan National Naval Guard, 1 given to the Royal Malayan Navy in 1960 as a gift, 1 sunk as a artificial reef, 1 sunk as a target practice

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 5:28 pm
OberstAmiruddin wrote:
The Japanese mounts you see house 125 mm cannons not 127 mm cannons, they just look the same.
Hi Oberst,

Understand that, but my comment was more on carrying two entirely incompatible types of artillery that are going to serve more-or-less the same purpose. For instance, once you've run out of 5"/38 (now that you have to have magazine space dedicated to 125mm, you're surely not going to be able to carry the same amount of 5"/38 ammo) do you just accept that you'll be unable to engage distant targets forward? Or, worse, do you reduce the quantity of 125mm carried and risk leaving yourself entirely unprotected aft? They stopped the practice of carrying many different calibres as far as possible prior to WWI, partly as a result of analysis of battles in 1905.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 24 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 122 23 24 25 2647 »

Jump to: