Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 18 of 20  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page « 116 17 18 19 20 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 9:49 am
just did a quick check. the gun turret of the 152mm guns was 224 tons. an Mk 10 (80 missiles) GMLS is 315,4 tons, or (40 missiles) 181 tons. I do not know the amount of ammunition carried, but especially when counting the heavy, high placed illuminators of the terrier system an rebuild removing only one of the turrets can include only one GMLS system, and unless it eats into the reserves there could only be 40 missiles on board.

I think the missile conversion will get stuck with a set of illuminators in place of the 152mm turret and a single 2 RSR Mk 10 GMLS in the aircraft hangar. any other setup would be costlier then colombamike says is possible or will be impossible from an engineering perspective (think only about the cost of developing an vertical loading Mk 10 for only a single launcher installation)

EDIT: and here we see something else entirely.
http://books.google.nl/books?id=YnS9AwA ... on&f=false
one Mk 10 missile launcher without any real magazine, just 3 missiles stowed underneath the launcher. most likely no directors (or only one) and no other changes to the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 12:02 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
just did a quick check. the gun turret of the 152mm guns was 224 tons. an Mk 10 (80 missiles) GMLS is 315,4 tons, or (40 missiles) 181 tons. I do not know the amount of ammunition carried, but especially when counting the heavy, high placed illuminators of the terrier system an rebuild removing only one of the turrets can include only one GMLS system, and unless it eats into the reserves there could only be 40 missiles on board. I think the missile conversion will get stuck with a set of illuminators in place of the 152mm turret and a single 2 RSR Mk 10 GMLS in the aircraft hangar. any other setup would be costlier then colombamike says is possible or will be impossible from an engineering perspective (think only about the cost of developing an vertical loading Mk 10 for only a single launcher installation)
You forget to count the entire AA guns change (single 100mm model 1953 replacing twin 100mm model 1945, lesser twin 57mm.....)
acelanceloet wrote:
EDIT: and here we see something else entirely.
http://books.google.nl/books?id=YnS9AwA ... on&f=false
one Mk 10 missile launcher without any real magazine, just 3 missiles stowed underneath the launcher. most likely no directors (or only one) and no other changes to the ship.
:lol: I know this book (but it is quite incomplete)
In this book, only the early studies are partially show (solutions A to E). They do not speak of the final solutions :lol:

Ace, if you want to draw a Jean-Bart with your "calculations", please open a new personnal/AU thread :?:

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 1:11 pm
What were the missile systems proposed for Jean Bart?
The book only mentions the Terrier, but that seems to be separate and later from the A-E proposals. The launching ramps seem to indicate something else (3 ramps for Proposal A for example). I'm just wondering if the system wasn't something like the Oerlikon-Contraves RCS? There was a naval version proposed and Friedman has a drawing of such a layout for a British export cruiser for Venezuela. Not sure on dates, but the RCS series was still being developed around 1957-58. Its smaller missile and launcher could more easily explain the kinds of high magazine rounds quoted for these proposals.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 7:52 pm
Colombamike wrote:
Ace, if you want to draw a Jean-Bart with your "calculations", please open a new personnal/AU thread :?:
I might do so when you stop putting an vertical loading Mk 10 on board a ship.
the only way this could have been done is by fitting the actual launcher from the Mk 10 (which is the same as used in the Mk 4 launcher and the Mk 9, with a different foot height, so that would actually mean the same launcher as the Mk 10) and the 3 missile magazine described in the book. as you explained to me, france had no money to fit more then 2 illuminators, so definitely not enough money to fit 2 launchers of an all new design on board the ship.

thus, the version drawn here is a lot more personal design/AU then my 'calculated' version.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 7:54 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
thus, the version drawn here is a lot more personal design/AU then my 'calculated' version.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 7:58 pm
post here proof that an vertical loader Mk 10 launcher existed. or that the jean bart would have had 2 launchers. otherwise, I see certainly no reason to laugh at me and I will find find that reply highly offensive.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 8:02 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
otherwise, I see certainly no reason to laugh at me and I will find find that reply highly offensive.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 10:02 pm
An excellent set of drawings David, and this thread is marred only by the on-going bickering between Ace and Colombamike (unnecessary IMHO).
Hood question about the Proposal A made me think if the French were considering buying Sea Slug which originally was meant to have a triple launcher (the same one which was installed on the test ship Girdle Ness).
This might be an interesting idea, although I don't think it was a real contender.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 10:26 pm
unnecessary? I think it could be a lot less, yeah, if my point I wanted to get across did not get laughed at and ignored it would have been only one or 2 posts. I will hereby advice david latuch to ignore colombamikes ideas on the missile conversion unless he has any hard references for his claims (which I'd love to see, if they exist, btw) and will advice by PM if any further questions to me are to be answered, as this thread indeed does not deserve to get any more mess in it because one so called expert does see no reason.

[Profile] [Quote]
ailgin
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 10th, 2014, 11:54 pm
Off topic but... This seems to happen quite often with colombamike. Great thread, David.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 18 of 20  [ 197 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 116 17 18 19 20 »

Jump to: