Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 17 of 20  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page « 115 16 17 18 19 20 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 5th, 2014, 9:14 am
heuhen wrote:
David Latuch wrote:
Quote:
It's fixed. :(
Quote:
take an cookie... dream about something nice... and start work again...
Good advice :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 8th, 2014, 8:17 pm
This is Jean Bart as it would have looked configured for the role of Command Ship for the French nuclear testing program in the South Pacific. Her 125mm battery and several 100mm mounts have been removed. Her masts have been reconfigured as well as her bridge tower.

[ img ]

:D

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 9th, 2014, 8:05 am
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 9th, 2014, 8:46 am
Colombamike wrote:
[ img ]
[ img ]
:o Okay I'll fix it later today :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 9th, 2014, 11:03 am
Interesting. Would have been one expensive command ship though given the refit costs and operating costs.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 9th, 2014, 1:29 pm
Hood wrote:
Interesting. Would have been one expensive command ship though given the refit costs and operating costs.
France is (seriously) considering A-Bombs/H-Bombs test in the French-Polynesia by spring 1962.
Immediately, the French navy proposed a command-ship for the future testing series (expected by 1965+).

This command-ship need to have a very long range (Brest to Tahiti), so only a cruiser or a battleship could have this role
(a option with a french-destroyer of the Surcouf class was secretly studied, for the "cheapest-option possible", maybe can be drawn one day by David ;) )

Battleships:
- Richelieu: by 1962, this BB was too tired/worn-out.
- Jean Bart were more modern than the Richelieu by 1962-1966
Cruisers:
- Colbert was too recent (commissioned by 1959) to be converted to a secondary role.
- Cruisers of the Georges-Leygues class were too old/worn-out by early 1960s.
- The "De Grasse" cruiser was between Colbert & the "1930s-builts" Georges Leygues

So the French Navy studied various options between Jean Bart & De Grasse
The "De Grasse" cruiser won because he needed a smaller crew (760 crew VS 850/950 for the Jean-Bart), & this modernization might cost less

For the Jean Bart, you should know that:
- The French have never seriously considered removing boths quadruple 380mm turrets (it would be too expensive in manpower to retiring. By late 1950s this "removing" was considered "premature" by the French & by early 1960s the French prefers still maintain both turrets until the final scrapping of this ship, mainly for cost-reasons).

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 9th, 2014, 1:52 pm
Great work, David! (Ignoring the very-much-over-the-top criticism from certain directions.)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 9th, 2014, 5:11 pm
A very nice series, David!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 9th, 2014, 9:21 pm
emperor_andreas wrote:
Great work, David! (Ignoring the very-much-over-the-top criticism from certain directions.)
what are you refering to with those over the top critisicm? just wondering......

anyways, is an update with correct GMLS in store for the missile conversion? or should I stop hoping for that :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: The French Battleship Jean BartPosted: November 9th, 2014, 11:15 pm
Most impressive David

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 17 of 20  [ 197 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 115 16 17 18 19 20 »

Jump to: