Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 13 of 24  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1524 »
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 26th, 2014, 9:23 am
Hi Voyager,

Interesting reading about the Eclipse, that's actually something quite similar to what I had in mind for my current doodle ... I'd figured that some MG-sets with decent-sized flywheels and appropriate governors (heck, they had sufficient tech in that regard to get Alexanderson alternators working in 1904!) would be able to draw load for ship's AC generation off the motor DC current, which should spare a few ratings, perhaps? Additionally, although this would add complexity, you could possibly provide different AC circuits for different requirements with multiple MG sets, so you could supply single- and three-phase or have some sort of damage control setup with different zones for power, etc...

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 27th, 2014, 3:07 am
I'm no expert on ship propulsion or electrical systems, but I don't believe designers regarded it as worth the complexity until things like massive 3-D radars started drawing so much power as to begin providing a noticeable parasitic drag on the ship's range. A treaty-limited weight environment as in OTL is the death of electric drive while its' in effect (or the power in question has to be willing to cheat) - being both heavier and bulkier, unless one is willing to pay the price for it, the conventional geared arrangement proves itself superior. (See the Essex-class - the proposed electric plant provided 120,000 shaft horsepower in the same weight and space as a 150,000 shp geared plant.) Integrated Electric Power is nice - it's also very much a pain, and I only considered it here after some prodding from a more knowledgeable friend.

As for the idea of different voltages - the main alternators/generators on most steam-fired vessels were, you guessed it, run off the steam generated by the main boilers, being reciprocating engines (dynamos on WWI ships, for instance) or small turbines (turbogenerators) themselves. In the era of rotary converters, this would also have introduced another point failure mode for ship service power, and one that disliked shock damage.

Last edited by Voyager989 on October 27th, 2014, 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 27th, 2014, 3:08 am
Let's see just how badly this breaks the scroll...

Edit: Really badly.

[ img ]

Last edited by Voyager989 on March 11th, 2015, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 27th, 2014, 3:47 am
She's a big girl, but she looks good.

Edit: I see the eight Kashtans, but I am curious how many VLS cells she's carrying.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 27th, 2014, 5:23 am
While it's an almost Soviet level of overkill, my rough estimate is 160 Mk 41 sized cells.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 27th, 2014, 2:19 pm
Hi Voyager, completely agree re actual utility of electric drive - while it had advantages, they just weren't worth the disadvantages in a Washington world, but was more saying you might not need the hordes of technicians you were expecting on the Eclipse class, was all - if you did want to go down the dc-drive and m-g sets for AC route, you'd need a few warm bodies to look after the m-g governors and not much more ...?

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 27th, 2014, 3:02 pm
The short answer; that's not integrated electric power, that's... using electrical power to run the ship service generators.

The longer answer, that's still two isolated electric systems with all the advantages and disadvantages herein.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: January 11th, 2015, 11:33 pm
[ img ]

First ship of this class laid down in 1988; approximately 16,750 tons and 170m x 26m, they are armed with 32 short-range SAMs, 3 quad 30mm CIWS, and one twin 84mm/70, with two multiple rocket launchers forward. Sea speed of twenty-two knots, two large helicopters in hangar aft. Carrying capacity of one Naval Infantry battalion and eighty-six infantry fighting vehicles, roll-on/off ramp aft.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: January 12th, 2015, 7:09 am
[ img ]

When the IRC chat reminded me that the Type 42 might well not exist in my AU, and working off the history of Anglo-Dutch cooperation in the 60's and 70's, I produced this as an alternative; the Dutch variant being much more austere, and the British variant somewhat less well equipped. They may appear here later.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: January 12th, 2015, 9:33 am
Wow! These last designs are very interesting, espesially the landing ship. Any more information about capacities in tanks, LCU?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 13 of 24  [ 239 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1524 »

Jump to: