Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 19 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2147 »
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 25th, 2014, 11:06 pm
QUESTION:
Would mounting a 5 inch open mount gun on the deck of a 1936 design submarine be alright?

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 25th, 2014, 11:26 pm
OberstAmiruddin wrote:
QUESTION:
Would mounting a 5 inch open mount gun on the deck of a 1936 design submarine be alright?
Yes. Deck guns on subs had been around since the First World War, anything from 3-inch to 6-inch with a 12-inch on the RN's M-class and 8-inch on the French Surcouf. Several US designs were to have 8-inch guns as well and one was to have four 12-inch, in turrets no less.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 26th, 2014, 12:33 am
Thanks for the answer now I can post my submarine without much problem

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 26th, 2014, 2:03 am
Dukh class Submarine
As the Nixe class became more and more obsolete, the Rossiyan Navy decided to replace them with a new design, in comes the Dukh class submarine. It was not armoured as it can dive immediately. It has a top speed of 20 knots (surfaced), 7 knots (submerged). It has a single 5 inch gun and four 533 mm torpedo tubes. By 1938 there were eighty of these submarines in service with half of these in Rossiyan National Naval Guard.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 26th, 2014, 9:31 pm
Just web searching gives RN had 60 with 9 building in 39 so 80 in 38 is quite a lot...

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 31st, 2014, 7:23 am
JSB wrote:
Just web searching gives RN had 60 with 9 building in 39 so 80 in 38 is quite a lot...

JSB
Well the Rossiyan National Guard was a secret to only the Rossiyans. So to everyone else, Rossiya has forty submarines

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 31st, 2014, 8:03 am
its up to you but,

- secret things still cost cash (probably even more than none secret ones)

- hiding that sized fleet requires you to be a totalitarian state (that can close off areas/citys)

- if you are the above everybody will not trust you and arm themselves in case (and treaty's break down)

just IMO its your AU so carry on, they are looking nice.
JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 31st, 2014, 8:09 am
Technically the Japanese broke the treaty first in 1934-1935 so Rossiya felt very threatened as she was nearer to Japan than the US or Britain; therefore, Rossiya decides that she must also abandon the treaty to ensure her safety

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 31st, 2014, 12:25 pm
JSB wrote:
its up to you but,

- secret things still cost cash (probably even more than none secret ones)

- hiding that sized fleet requires you to be a totalitarian state (that can close off areas/citys)

- if you are the above everybody will not trust you and arm themselves in case (and treaty's break down)

just IMO its your AU so carry on, they are looking nice.
JSB
Actually now I think about it, I have decided that Rossiya will inform America that they are rearming but not England

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: October 31st, 2014, 1:19 pm
Hi Oberst,

The British will probably find out anyway - they'd discreetly tapped the transatlantic telegraph cables by 1917 to grab the Zimmerman telegram and the geography, whatever your AU, does kind of support that sort of interception, or, more accurately, the sort of telegram network that will permit that sort of interception. Even assuming that there's not some sort of political co-operation that would result in formal information sharing.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 19 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2147 »

Jump to: