Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 12 of 24  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1424 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 20th, 2014, 4:03 pm
hmmmm I would expect it more like the real life bristol, what are the other angled lines meant to represent?
http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... ristol.png

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 20th, 2014, 5:46 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
I am wondering, what is her powerplant? :P
Four Olympus class gas turbines plus 16kshp turbo-compound diesels in a full IEP set up for 136kshp total. In universe, at here 1967 scheduled completion she is the first combat vessel in the world with full integrated electric power.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 20th, 2014, 6:20 pm
The enclosed bridge wings are due to the proximity of the Ikara directors aft of them and on the same level.

The power-plant is, yes, four 30k shp gas turbines and a pair of 5.3k shp turbo-compounded cruise diesels. (That may have to become four as I figure out how much electrical power the hotel and service load will demand.)

From ~1918 CE onwards, Californian cruisers and capital ships have used electric main drive. This is the first class in which they decided to attempt merging ship service power and drive motor power - it certainly will not work perfectly, and require constant attention from a crew of skilled electrician artificers on switchboards to attempt to do what we would use computers for. (I am aware of what the very strong local loads found on a warship can do to wave-forms and voltages.)

Some of the angled lines date from the original Bristol drawing - on the main deck you can still see one of the very ancient hatch style I haven't replaced yet.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 20th, 2014, 6:50 pm
Would those diesels by any chance be E.185 Compound Deltics?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 20th, 2014, 7:47 pm
I had the weight, size, and horsepower for that particular engine, so yes, yes they are, or the distaff version thereof.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 20th, 2014, 9:56 pm
You're going to have a hell of a time keeping them running. The Deltics aren't exactly known for their stellar reliability (Hence why they downrated them 30% in the Hunt class) and judging by the Wright R-3350 I sincerely doubt the turbo-compound version is going to do better.
They made sense on compact and high-performance platforms such as FACs since they have very short operating cycles and thus have plenty opportunity for unit replacement, and their low magnetic and acoustic signatures made up for their lack of reliability in minesweepers.
On a cruiser/destroyer that's going to be at sea for months it makes rather less sense. Especially once you consider how big a nightmare the proto-IEP system is going to be.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 20th, 2014, 10:41 pm
I acknowledge the point and will double-check if a conventional straight-block diesel generator setup will fit in the allotted compartments.

I'd known the Deltic had reliability issues in the minesweepers/hunters, but had thought it was due to certain design changes to reduce magnetic signature. If that's not the case, and a more robust construction wouldn't fix it, then a conventional turbo-charged diesel setup will fit, though possibly require uprating the main gas turbines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 20th, 2014, 11:07 pm
As far as I've read it was a general thing across all the platforms. However because they were so small and light they were easily pulled and replaced by a new one while the old one went into the shop for overhaul.
Poor(ish) reliability seems to be endemic to opposed and double acting engines of all stripes, not just the Deltic. It's the sheer amount of mechanical linkages needed to sync them that seems to do them in all the time.
It's not surprising most of them disappeared once turbochargers became common on marine diesels in the sixties

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 3:25 am
Obviously, the Eclipse type vessels were too expensive to make up the entirety of the Empire's area air defence vessels. A buy-in to the Type 42 DDG program of the Royal Navy saw some cost-savings in common systems gained, though as usual, the Imperial Navy ended up "gold-plating" an austere design with their usual demands. (RN ECM is a stand-in, I am aware that US export restrictions apply to most of their gear of the period.) Funnel is painted red to aid in identification during the Second Great Patagonian War.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 12:45 pm
Again, spiffy looking.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 12 of 24  [ 239 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1424 »

Jump to: