Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
eswube
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: September 20th, 2014, 7:49 am
Perhaps not the most plausible idea, but I like it.
Any assumptions about the size of the air group?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: September 20th, 2014, 8:34 am
An interesting concept.
I reckon 30+ aircraft could be accommodated. The top-view looks ok and the angled deck looks ok and overhang isn't too great. Perhaps not economically feasible but its an interesting design.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: September 20th, 2014, 8:09 pm
the airgroup would be similar in both size and usage to the actual karel doorman. that would mean about 35 aircraft on board.

Hood, would you be surprised if I say that actually, amidships, the only overhang is the gallery deck? the actual flight deck stays within the hulls beam, without bulging. the overhang forward and aft is quite a lot though, because the ship was rather curved, and this can be seen in the disadvantageous position of the aft 57mm gun, which I would rather have had on sponsons but that would just not fit.

economically might not be the biggest problem. it's just a lot of if's. IF we build these hulls. IF the germans keep them intact. IF we convert it to a carrier. IF the navy has budget for these ships and the cruisers (without the cruisers, there would be design differences, for example the 57mm guns.)

and thank you guys! glad you like her.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: September 21st, 2014, 1:01 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
course of the war, this was not carried out. The hull was finished to the waterline and then floated out, to clear the building site for small ship construction and repair. The construction was however done following the original plans, with torpedo belt and armour in place. Machinery was in a near completed stage, ready to be installed when the ship would go near this stage. At the end of the war, the hull was still finished only to the waterline level. When the first 1047 was completed, the ship was readied for construction again. There was however no need for another battlecruiser. Proposals to sell the hull, scrap the hull, arm it with regular cruiser guns, and some even more wicked plans were made. The maddest plan of all was carried out though. The Dutch wanted to acquire an aircraft carrier, seeing that this was the future (after wartime experiences) a fast, torpedo protected but very stable hull was ready for construction..... Of course, the 1047-2 hull! Construction started in 1952, and in 1956 the ship was commissioned (<= construction re-started from 1947, completed by 1952-1953)

The carrier had the same catapults as fitted on the midway class (<= over-ambitious (for the Dutch $), better to use the ESSEX catapults :roll: ) . The deck was of the new angled deck design, but still had traits from the original straight deck that would originally have been fitted. The design followed parts of the American and British design philosophy. Her speed of 30-32 knots was not as fast as her 34 knot battlecruiser sister, but still very fast for a ship it's size.

[ img ]Please comment, and on the contrary to what seems to be general I would like to get some technical comments, although I agree that of all I could have thought of, this idea is not that plausible
A very Serious Realistic "What-If" IF the ship was laid-down by 1937-early 1938 & FULLY launched by may 1940 (before Nazi invasion) -december 1944 (during Nazi occupation) ;)

Ace, PS: to be completed around 1952-1954, initially without angled-deck, deck modified by 1956-1958 ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: September 21st, 2014, 1:09 pm
well, I cannot see this one finished before the battlecruiser earlier in this thread, so not before 1955. as that was literally during the time the real KD was modified to angled deck, I decided it likely she would have been build with angled deck (but designed without)

if the germans did work on her (like on the eendracht cruisers) she would not have to be laid down or launched that early, but still, a lot IF's. construction was restarted that late because the battlecruiser was finished first, this ship used the same building facilities.

the midway catapults were derived of the british catapults which were fitted on, for example, the colossus class. the dutch actually had these catapults, or ones quite close to them, IRL. the american practise followed was mostly by this design being influenced by essex, alaska conversion (the conversion proposal actually quite close to these in size and year) where the british had no conversion scheme's around the same time and size.

do I read this incorrect, or do you actually think this one more likely then the BC and BCG versions earlier in the thread? :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: September 21st, 2014, 1:24 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
do I read this incorrect, or do you actually think this one more likely then the BC and BCG versions earlier in the thread? :P
After the war (Dutch shipyards destroyed by the retreatring nazi forces in fall 1944/spring 1945)
a incomplete (intact) Dutch 241 meters warship-hull was more likely to be completed as an aircraft carriers that a absolete battlecruiser :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: September 21st, 2014, 4:05 pm
Ace:

No matter what certain constant detractors say, you've done beautiful work on all of them, especially the original drawing and the carrier!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: