Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 17th, 2014, 8:47 pm
Nicely done and a good start for the upcoming project ;)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 18th, 2014, 9:18 pm
Oh :o She's a beauty! Your drawing motivate me to give your badges first priority my friend :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 19th, 2014, 12:15 am
James, your talent and eye for detail is exquistite. You just need to get to improve on your colours above and below the waterline.... a darker gray (AP507A) and a much darker red. Sorry mate, I just can't lie to you.

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 19th, 2014, 7:45 am
Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Thanks Monty. Though I've spotted a shading error on the after section of the bulge - I'll fix it when Kim's most excellent badge is ready (thanks again Kim!).
Royal Oak in 1939 seems to have a much darker grey, I'll have to experiment.

I must admit the underwater hull red is an issue I spent some time mulling over.
I've seen great new anti-fouling reds on these boards, but none seem to currently match what the RN was using. I find Bombhead's a little too orange, the others a little too pale. I note that modellers use Humbrol RN19 paint which is a bright red, though I've not found a decent colour match online as to how 'red' it is. I haven't ever really experimented with colours in paint to any great degree, but I guess if I can find something I'm happy with, I'll add it.
You'll note I'm in the conservative camp when it comes to underwater hulls, this one combines the old and new 45 degree methods.

While we're discussing the underwater hulls, I'd be glad of any references folks have on the bulges of the Royal Sovereigns. Different ships had different styles at different times and its probably the case none of these five ships ever had identical bulges.

EDIT: I've just found the shades that look good, Rowdy's Ypres class heavy cruisers anti-fouling paint looks great and is what I was looking for!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 19th, 2014, 5:51 pm
Ha, Bombheads legendary colour blindness strikes again. :shock: The one thing I did note in my quest for the most accurate colours is the RN of the period painted their ships a lighter shade when serving in the Med fleet and a darker shade in the Home fleet so a lot depends on the date of the drawing just to complicate matters.
Bloody Majhost is down again so when it's back up I'll post a scan. Only B+W I'm affraid but there is a descernable difference.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 21st, 2014, 7:27 pm
I have edited the Royal Oak with Kim's excellent badge and new underwater colours. The new picture can be found on p.1.
Comments on the changes are most welcome.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 21st, 2014, 7:31 pm
I am not entirely certain on your underwater hull shading of the stern, hood. the bulge looks great, but due to the stern not being shaded that part looks flat, while IIRC there should be a part that should be shaded above the propellers. I am not certain though, as I am not really familliar with these ships' shape.
EDIT: not the same class, but I think a similar shape https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3222/4552 ... b06e_z.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 21st, 2014, 7:44 pm
Yeah, I'm still a novice when it comes to the 45 rule. I think your right though, I'll do some tinkering and experimenting.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 21st, 2014, 7:57 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class ReduxPosted: August 21st, 2014, 8:27 pm
Thanks for that photo BH.
Royal Oak was due to go to the Med in September 1939, but due to the outbreak of war was diverted to the Home Fleet. She had the dark grey colour scheme when sunk, so she was either repainted or had never received her Med Fleet lighter grey.

I've re-edited the picture on p.1 to reflect Ace's shading on the aft hull (you might need to F5 to refresh). I've tweaked the shading and added the stern shading. As ever, comments and advice welcome.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 62 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: