Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser HMSAS Sud Afrika (BC-1937)Posted: August 16th, 2014, 1:58 pm
Added top view to drawing on page 1.

(For the few of you that checked this thread in the last two days, you would have had a good view of my work in progress, as I added the top view through Dropbox which updates the drawing in SB each time I save my work in MSPaintXP.)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser HMSAS Sud Afrika (BC-1937)Posted: August 16th, 2014, 2:22 pm
Great work on the top view Krakatoa!

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser HMSAS Sud Afrika (BC-1937)Posted: August 16th, 2014, 2:35 pm
Wow, not sure if I will ever get round to trying top views but well done.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser HMSAS Sud Afrika (BC-1937)Posted: August 16th, 2014, 3:30 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Thank you Hood, I looked at that turret placement and was not happy with it, I will alter it through dropbox which will update the drawing for me.

Just an aside for people. Full Load displacement is the ship with absolutely everything aboard and maxed out, fuel, water, ammunition, provisions (and even men). Depending on how long you are at sea, and what happens on your cruise, the displacement of the ship will have changed markedly by the time you get to your next port of call. Later in the war the Admiralty cut down the maximum bunkerage levels (and thus maximum range) of a lot of ships to offset some of the extra tonnage that had been piled on with extra weapons and electronics, and funnily enough the weight of the extra crew required to man the new equipment.

NM
While this is technically true the difference is really only noticae practically with the liquid load. Even there since most ships make water their service tanks are usually only good for a few days max and that's with water hours. I am sure older ships had larger water tanks but I would bet even water was negligible relative to fuel.

Dos anyone have an idea what a fully loaded magazine for a gun ship like this is, my experience is not with such vessels.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser HMSAS Sud Afrika (BC-1937)Posted: August 16th, 2014, 3:52 pm
Well using Alaska's 12 inch (its the only WW2 12inch I could think of but it is a bit later and uses super heavy shells )
from Navweps,
AP Mark 18 Mod 1 - 1,140 lbs. (517.093 kg)
Full Charge - 275.00 lbs. (124.7 kg) SPD
Ammunition stowage per gun 166 rounds

With 8 guns on this ship you would have,
8*166*(517+124)= 815,248 KGs of weight just for the main guns. (it will be less as HE ammo is less, I don't know the mix)

edited I think you will have lighter earlier shells, 400kg per shell and 100rpg (KVG) would be more realistic so 420t ish for your full mags.

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser HMSAS Sud Afrika (BC-1937)Posted: August 16th, 2014, 7:20 pm
The big move in weight is the fuel oil, I read somewhere when I was doing my research for the 3rd Renown concept, that the Renown used 15 tons per hour but I can not remember the speed it used that rate at. Without speed, bunkerage figures, then rate of use becomes academic except as a figure that shows how quickly the tanks can be emptied.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser HMSAS Sud Afrika (BC-1937)Posted: August 17th, 2014, 4:05 pm
Lovely ship, certainly capable of handling Panzerschiff, though for the size of it, I'd be tempted to use the Twin 14" mounts from the KGV instead.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: