Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 28th, 2014, 8:17 pm
While the chances of the UK ever building a mini-monster like this is zero. It is interesting as a design study for getting big guns to sea. Why a mix of big gun and missiles? I have given this ship 15" guns. Using rocket assisted projectiles to increase the speed and range of the projectiles should mean that whenever a call for fire support arrives the shells should arrive in minutes. Using the longer range Tomahawk cruise missiles could take many more minutes to arrive due to their subsonic speed. The difference between life and death. The projectiles with a 15" diameter, with small steerable fins, would certainly give enough room for whatever electronics may be necessary for any given mission. This could include laser guidance packages where the laser designator would give the arriving shells awesome accuracy. Using the ships own drones would give it the spotting capabilty to support the big guns.

People say "Why build a dinosaur?". It is because the sheer power of a battleship will always give your enemy pause for thought before he commits the act of war. When you have a battleship parked off your coastline and you are literally staring down the barrels, the first thing you reach for is the toilet paper, the second thing is the peace treaty papers.

[ img ]

With the extended flight deck the ship is just on 700 feet, with a beam of 88 feet and draught of 25/27 feet. At standard the ship would be 24,500 tons with a full load displacement of 29,750 tons. Propulsion is modest, 4 shafts Integrated electric propulsion (IEP); 2× Rolls-Royce WR-21 gas turbines, 21.5 MW (38,800 shp) each, 2× Wärtsilä 12V200 diesel generators, 2 MW (2,700 shp) each, 2× Converteam electric motors, 20 MW (27,000 shp) each, wich gives a total of approx 80,000shp for a speed of 27 knots. With the Albion/Ocean types only making 18 knots this ship would be fast enough. The ship is not a monster but carries enough weaponry to be able to fulfill the roles asked of it. Armour is placed to cover the machinery spaces, shell handling rooms and the aircraft refuelling tanks. The UK's favourite 15" guns are fitted to the ship with two twin turrets carried forward.

With the advent of the QE class carriers the ship(s) would probably need to be faster if they were to act with QE's. This would require an increase in size to produce more power to match the QE's speed.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 28th, 2014, 8:25 pm
well, first of all, check the parts.
you have the back of the HMS tiger helicopter conversion, 4,5in guns that have been replaced with more recent parts, the old S1850M radar, type 45 superstructure...... I can still clearly see where each drawing ends, and that should not be the case.

even for a coastal bombardment ship, armour doesn't really make sense. you cannot make it strong enough to resist missiles, and with good subdivision anything lighter then missiles cannot sink your ship.

the VLS is a very small block, and I think it might suffer from blast damage from the guns in that position.

the stern helideck is clearly that of an converted ship, while this should would have to be purpose build.

the in and uptakes are insufficient for a ship the size of the type 45, let alone this size.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 28th, 2014, 9:45 pm
your phalanx is on your 2nd funnel...............

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 28th, 2014, 10:08 pm
Shippy there is only one funnel

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 28th, 2014, 10:19 pm
i was going on the fact your using the type 45's superstructure and that box behind the smart l radar is the type 45's second funnel, type 45 only has two shafts and has 2 funnels you here have 4 so i would think there would be more that a single funnel.

but i suppose if you only have 2 turbines its plausable to have 1

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 28th, 2014, 10:33 pm
Just enlarged the funnel area and in/out-takes, used new 4.5" from RN sheet, re-did the bow wave-breaker to use it also as blast shield for front cellblock and upgraded the S1850 radar and I've removed the armour.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 29th, 2014, 9:40 am
Ace might be able to shed more light on this but you have 6 turrets but only one sea archer director I don't the samson or smart L can be used to direct guns and I'm sure a single director cant handle all 6 or even have the range for those large turrets....

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 29th, 2014, 9:57 am
I might be wrong, but doesn't the SAMSON direct the main gun on the T45?
if it can, it has enough guidance channels for all them...... but one of the guys who know more of RN then I do might be better people to ask that :P

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 29th, 2014, 10:27 am
Having done some reading up on the systems I believe the type 23 and type 45 both use the sea archer 30 system for fire control of the 4.5 in gun as the system but as it is optical I doubt it can handle more than 1 turret and has the range to handle the 15 in, but having said that the 4.5 has a rang in excess of 22km., as far as I can gather information the Samson is purely an Arial search radar and is tasked with control of the PAAMS system (sea viper) in both the anti air and soon ABM roles. Granted she can track over 1000 targets simultaneously ........

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Tempest (BCG-2016)Posted: July 29th, 2014, 12:58 pm
Upgraded flightdeck and hangar, redid hull, as per PM'd suggestions. Thanks Ace

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: