Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 12  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 7th, 2011, 9:58 pm
LOL...you guys are absolutely certified! ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 8th, 2011, 12:09 am
Yeah about as mad as Admiral Vian.Now there is an interesting character.Iv'e just read the Fighting Admirals by Martin Stephen where he comes across as being difficult.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 8th, 2011, 12:37 am
Sir Phil was indeed a very difficult man, and quite eccentric too. But all this was compensated by his daring and skill.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 8th, 2011, 4:48 pm
There you go mate,just waiting for the signal flags from our new resident flag drawer.Well done mate.I did find a better white ensign certicey of DP.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 8th, 2011, 5:02 pm
Very interesting chaps :) However, can we just have the un-royal-tour version for uploading :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 8th, 2011, 5:05 pm
No probs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 8th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Thanks. And not that I don't admire the 'royal yacht', but I'd prefer to see a final version without the awning aft :)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 8th, 2011, 8:39 pm
Excellent rendition of the awning! One eenie teeny thing and it'll be one of the greatest illustrations of this great but alas so shortlived battleship: hoist the Admiral's flag on the same spot where you right now have the Union Flag. This is perfectly alright to have hoisted as well, but from the port lanyard, slightly beneath the Admiral's flag. This will mark the fact, in lieu of the so-called 'Anchor Standard', that the King, being the nominal Lord High Admiral (in Commission Ordinary) is aboard. (The title and office had fallen into disuse by the early 18th-century, and had only been intermittently filled, since the removal of James, Duke of York, due to the Test Act, in 1672. It was really an Admirality Commission which headed the Admirality Board. The four Lords of the Admirality belonged to this, but, when a reigning Monarch was aboard an RN vessel, the Union was hoisted beneath the ranking flag officer's flag. - Only if any of the Lords of the Admirality was present, the Anchor Flag was (is) used. Thus, in 1952, the Royal Standard would be hoisted on the Vanguard's main topmast, but no Union, since Elizabeth was only an Heiress Presumptive. However, on the ship's voyage home, the King having died while she was abroad, the Union was actually hoisted to denote that the new Reigning Monarch of Great Britain etc, was onboard! - I know...too long and boring story, sorry about that. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 8th, 2011, 9:55 pm
Not at all boring mate.The good thing about SB is there are experts in all fields of the maritime community.All the background information you can get is most useful to get a better drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS VanguardPosted: February 9th, 2011, 3:10 am
Since the administrators doesn't want us to upload files other than the actual SB-related pics, I've got a link here to show a pic of a very young and cute (ohh...Lese majeste! Off with his head!!!) Elizabeth (Lillibeth) with a Vanguard cap. The picture is most likely taken in 1947 during the big Royal Dominion Cruise, when she was a mere 21 years old. Anyway, for Royalists and Republicans alike here it is: http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/200 ... s-vanguard

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 12  [ 111 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »

Jump to: