Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 14 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1623 »
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 29th, 2014, 3:42 pm
Hi Paul,
I've used an updated set of propellers you've sent me while I was working on my personal designs "missile Montanas". Yet, you did spot something I've missed: what you have circled are the leftovers of the older propellers, over which I've pasted the new ones. I thought I have claned all the drawings, but apparently I had not!
Thanks for spotting, I'll remove the glitches ASAP :D

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 29th, 2014, 3:46 pm
The turrets I drew for the Iowa were scaled from a drawing in Friedman's Battleships, though I have to admit it wasn't scaled using the HNSA's Turret Catalogue dimensions - I have never checked it based on those measurements.

What were your sources for those turrets? I'm at work right now and can't check it myself but take a look at this: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/guncat/cat-0561.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 29th, 2014, 4:23 pm
Colosseum wrote:
The turrets I drew for the Iowa were scaled from a drawing in Friedman's Battleships, though I have to admit it wasn't scaled using the HNSA's Turret Catalogue dimensions - I have never checked it based on those measurements.

What were your sources for those turrets? I'm at work right now and can't check it myself but take a look at this: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/guncat/cat-0561.htm
I had take the dimensions from the HNSA pdf about the BB-62.

HMCS Bonaventure CVL-22 and later alterations
Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 29th, 2014, 9:14 pm
OK great - if that's the case, then BB1987 should replace the old turrets with yours.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 29th, 2014, 9:37 pm
Technically, I'm already using Paul's turrets, the only difference is that I still have the gun barrels at 6-pixel thick instead of 7 (not even the 18-inch guns from Furious and Yamato are drawn that thick)
Anyway Colo, according to the HNSA's Turret Catalogue you linked, the 16"/50 you have on the BB-61/63 drawings are closer to the measurements given there than Paul's one, does the HNSA provided two different measurements for the Iowa's guns?

50 feet, 7.5 inches in length, 120 inches in height, barrel protruding ahead of the turret face (lower fowardmost spot) by 42 feet and 4.5 inches.
It translates into 101.26 x 20 pixels + 84.75 of forward barrel lenght (If I've not screwed up).

I suddenly feel nitpicky as I've never ever been before :?

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 29th, 2014, 10:17 pm
BB1987 wrote:
Technically, I'm already using Paul's turrets, the only difference is that I still have the gun barrels at 6-pixel thick instead of 7 (not even the 18-inch guns from Furious and Yamato are drawn that thick)
Anyway Colo, according to the HNSA's Turret Catalogue you linked, the 16"/50 you have on the BB-61/63 drawings are closer to the measurements given there than Paul's one, does the HNSA provided two different measurements for the Iowa's guns?

50 feet, 7.5 inches in length, 120 inches in height, barrel protruding ahead of the turret face (lower fowardmost spot) by 42 feet and 4.5 inches.
It translates into 101.26 x 20 pixels + 84.75 of forward barrel lenght (If I've not screwed up).

Hum, maybe it's my error because I didn't saw the exact measurements that you found. I had only take the New Jersey's pdf as a base for my turrets... :?

HMCS Bonaventure CVL-22 and later alterations
Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 30th, 2014, 5:19 am
Ah, I see - so Paul and I both made the same mistake (basing turret dimensions off a scaled drawing), I just got luckier in that I traced a more accurate drawing. ;) In these cases it's always best to use the HNSA turret catalog plans for dimensions - then detailing the drawings can come later, using photos for reference.

I think between the three of us, we can get the 16"/50 Mark 7 gun turrets drawn perfectly. ;)
Quote:
In my experience, it's best to just do it right from the beginning (regardless of how much time/nitpicking it takes). Then you don't have the nagging feeling that it's not "perfect" later on!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 30th, 2014, 6:05 am
Re: versions of the ship, what are you planning on now?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 30th, 2014, 10:59 am
I'm still refining the 1945 one, yesterday I was pretty busy so I've not been able do do anything.
Today I've got more time, so I manged to adress nearly all points, so here is the "almost done" version:
[ img ]
Just a few considerations and questions:
-The aft mast looks a bit too thick now, is it just me?
-The talker helmets racks goes on every gun tub? I've tired to look at pictures on avsource to get ideas on how to place them correctly but I've failed to identify them.
-Done a "rough" drawing without details of the 16-inch guns according to the official measurements

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: May 30th, 2014, 11:37 am
Deleted (to save space thread/visibility)PS:
Colosseum wrote:
Most of the helmets Colombamike has pointed out are actually racked M1 helmets (not the larger Mk.2 talker helmet).The "helmets" pointed out on the 01 level bulkhead just aft of the 20mm gun battery are actually klaxons
:oops: :mrgreen:

Last edited by Colombamike on May 30th, 2014, 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 14 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1623 »

Jump to: