Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 13th, 2014, 7:37 pm
Amazingly beautiful Bombhead, you have done the old lady proud. I salute you mate :)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 13th, 2014, 7:59 pm
Very nice

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 13th, 2014, 9:17 pm
Great ship, the badge looks nice as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 13th, 2014, 10:01 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
As far as I can tell, since I'm not with my reference works, it looks good. I will have to check more closely tonight, though, for a more comprehensive critique (or praise!) - However, two things strike my attention immediately: why have you named it the "Aboukir'-class. It ought to be the "Cressy"-class. Also, the navigation bridge wings look way too "bland'. There's no sense or perception of their curvature or, for that matter, extension. The navigation lights are also missing at the aft tips of the wings. - Yes, already in 1901 they carried them. Another thing: according to the photographs, the bridge wings did not extend beyond the front face of the pilot house, which also had slightly slanted sides, which, on your drawing are not evident.

As a future project, I'm planning to draw the Diadem-class protected cruisers, of which the Cressys were the armored cruiser equivalents. Therefore I have studied both classes quite extensively.

I see what you mean about the bridge wings and I did think about that at the time.There was two ways of doing it, shade the curve in the canvas or guard rail it with deminishing spaces. I need to pick your brains on the funnel bandings too, not sure I have the right ship ?
And well spotted Charybdis. ;)
Thanks DG but I didn't draw the badge I just lifted it from the web for Kim to work his magic on.

[ img ]

Last edited by Bombhead on May 13th, 2014, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 13th, 2014, 10:50 pm
That's alright, BH. I'm still at work, when writing this, but when I go home, I shall consult my sources, and we'll get it all sorted out! As for the way to do make the curvature of the bridge wings visible on this two-dimensional elevation, I'd suggest both ways; i. e. diminishing distance between the railing supports as well as a lighter shade on the canvas, since the light is shining from above-forward

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 14th, 2014, 1:40 am
Alright, BH. Are you ready? First of all, it is the HMS Aboukir you've depicted.
Now to the critique: the bridge and its associated features and fittings need more work. The pillars or steel supports on which the entire bridge complex rested are largely missing. For these I strongly suggest only a maximum of two pixels, since three will make them appear clumsy, and simply won't enable you to fit all of them! The white object abreast the conning tower I would like you to explain. I cannot find it in any photos or elevations.
You've dated your drawing as of 1901. If that's to be correct, you'll need to fit a semaphore almost at the leading edge of the aft top mast and to fit the slanted radio antenna that was such a typical feature of the British ships of this period. The stern section is acceptable, though the Cressys had well-rounded leading edges on their rudders.
Finally you need to pay a much more careful attention to your boat complement. As of now I see several gaps, and no 56-ft or 42-ft steam pinnaces for instance.

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 15th, 2014, 1:39 am
An excellent rendition, yet again. 8-)

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 15th, 2014, 8:20 am
Thanks for that Bezo, I will have a look at that over the weekend. 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 15th, 2014, 10:42 am
What I would do, but that's only my preference, since your starboard and port elevations are going to look so much different, is drawing starboard-port elevations to clearly show all the fittings of the ship. I'll bring you a little later an exact description ( unless you already got one!) of the boat complement and their respective positions on the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: HMS AboukirPosted: May 16th, 2014, 2:16 pm
Here is the link to get the badge for Aboukir :D
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 10#p120052

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: