Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 819 »
jabba
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 1:51 pm
Well, whatever is going on on those two deck levels (I'm no USN expert either btw), it appears in this photo that the two levels are very similar in layout, whereas your drawing has two quite different setups:

[ img ]

Also, the 'windows' on the funnel appear to be rounded, and not quite as tall. I would maybe do 3 x 4 pixels with rounded corners.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Jabba, you might want to check the other pic on the past page, looks square on the funnel windows

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 1:57 pm
...and, as that last picture clearly shows: on the upper (navigation-level) bridge, there are the positioning lights posted on what appears to be black rectangular boxes.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 1:59 pm
Re those "windows": Are you sure they were glazed in? I really cannot see that in any picture. To me they appear to be more rectangular with rounded edges, and no glass!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 2:09 pm
I don't believe they are and they do appear to be rounded rather than rectangluar.

[ img ]

By the by, are the directors I have on the tower tops Mk-28s? I don't know the fine details and such.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 2:45 pm
Actually, you're right! They look very kosher now! But don't forget that other detail I mentioned! Otherwise getting along handsomely!
BTW, you can borrow the seaplanes from the USS Augusta for your ship. They ought to cover your period. Let me know if you cannot find it, and I'll send you the Augusta!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 4:28 pm
Gotcha

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 4:47 pm
You found them! YAAAAAYY!!! (Ehhem...permission to act silly?!) - Wanna know what's really would look cool?

The battleships of this period (as well as the Tinclads!) used to have two planes latched to the cat, or, in the Tinclads' case (with hangar) on the roof. I have seen multiple pictures of the Big Five having their scouts stored that way. I'm sure the New Mexico's would've had it the same way too!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 5:07 pm
Permission granted. I'll work on the floatplanes. :D

Better?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico As Build 1918Posted: May 9th, 2014, 5:37 pm
Hey, what can I say? That looks so...so...Thirties! :D

I LOVE IT!!! ;) :D :lol:

Appropos: five scout planes sounds about right for a BB. The USS Chicago embarked six during her time as Flagship U.S. Scouting Forces, whereas her sisters usually had 4-5.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 19  [ 181 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 819 »

Jump to: