Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 8:40 am
sea dart did have a limited anti ship capability, limited to as far as the horizon, with the weapon guided by the Type 909 it wasn't able to track a target over the horizon. also the warhead wasn't designed to detonate when being used in the anti ship role, relying on kinetic force and the incendiary effect of the remaining fuel to do the damage...

Hawker Siddley the designer of the missile did propose a solid fuel active anti ship missile for the same launcher as an alternative to Harpoon but due to limited magazine space it wasn't taken up by the admiralty.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 10:54 pm
Finished(ish) my type84 what do you think, does it need anything ?
[ img ]

Thanks JSB

PS almost tempted to remove something, maybe the torps (as I have Lynx and Sub dart) but they probably don't cost much as they share torps with the Lynx. I'm also thinking if the French 100mm (or a 4inch) might be better but I want 5inch for my destroyer (and to share USN ammo).

Last edited by JSB on May 3rd, 2014, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 11:02 pm
not to bad to be a bland of kit-bash and some home work. nice touch with that British flag self if it not exactly an common practices on warship.

if you do an from ground up home made drawing, that looks good. then I am willing to say, that you can play with the big boys.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 4th, 2014, 9:09 am
Looks much better.
Still not sold on the cut-outs in the upper deck for structural strength. I think the ship needs more forecastle space, the 5in is too close to the superstructure for good firing arcs. Generally the ship feels a bit cramped.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 4th, 2014, 2:12 pm
Hood wrote:
Looks much better.
Still not sold on the cut-outs in the upper deck for structural strength. I think the ship needs more forecastle space, the 5in is too close to the superstructure for good firing arcs. Generally the ship feels a bit cramped.
I agree, it feels like you have a hell of a lot going on on such a small hull. Looks the business though. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 4th, 2014, 6:09 pm
[ img ]

Ok swaped stuff around to resolve the problems (and maybe make some more via top weight but I did cut the superstructure length and will cut off the big boat post Falkland refit).
Quote:
it feels like you have a hell of a lot going on such a small hull.
Hopefully so will all the export customers :twisted: (if it doesn't sink :? ).
Quote:
5in is too close to the superstructure for good firing arcs
Does that matter much (have made it a bit better)? Only really using it for NGFS and maybe hitting a ship in an emergency after using the 4 SSM's (or policing to tell it to stop).
I think the main weapons on this ship are really the Lynx and Sea Wolf (it has as good arcs as I can give a single launcher) ?

Will have to go think if it will all fit,
My options to make it smaller,
- cut to a smaller OTO 75mm (or French 100mm).
- cut torps (but dosnt save much weight and cost due to sharing with the lynx).
- cut missiles (but makes it a much less multi use).
Think I would go for 3 but maybe with 1 as well :?

Thanks JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 5th, 2014, 9:00 am
Think of this ship like this; its got two-thirds of a Type 22 Batch 3 capability for the size of a Type 21.
So it offers a punch but I'm sure its a bit cramped, saying that, export ships often were loaded with goodies at the expense of habitability and stores etc. so it could work in that regard.

Other than that, it does look good and those changes have made it better.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: