Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 3:22 pm
Quote:
I'm thinking that missile has to be compatible with the Sea Dart launcher and that gives you a maximum missile diameter of 17in IIRC
Not if you build it at the same time as Sea Dart ;) :lol: .

Sorry didn't get your point at first :oops: but if you are building in parallel you can change Sea Dart as well(or at least its launcher).
Do please tell me if I'm still wrong but cant you make a launcher that could take a wide or thin missile ?
(thinking aloud the MK 10 GMLS US can take terrier and ASROC, if only in some places for ASROC.)

Thanks JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 3:31 pm
You're looking at a fifty percent increase in diameter and significantly longer missiles over all then. That's going to show on the launcher itself.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 3:42 pm
keep in mind that the Mk 10 is an launcher for large missiles that is modified to take smaller ones, while you now are modifying an small missile launcher for larger missiles.
there was an concept for an conbined ikara and seadart launcher, it might be an better idea to look at that. the magazines would be separate though.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 3:43 pm
From Navweps

Sea Dart
16.5 x 172 in wing 36 in 1,200 lbs

RUR-5A
13.25 x 177.4 in wingspan 33 in 957 lbs

Looks ok to me as long as I don't go for a very long range ?
Thanks JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 3:48 pm
In the thread where sub-Dart is found there are many interesting designed for ideas.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: April 30th, 2014, 4:00 pm
ASROC required a very long guidance rail for accuracy (since it was, after all, 100% unguided). Indeed, to fire from a Mk 10 GMLS, it required a long adapter rail, every RUR-5 being stored on a rail within the magazine. I believe this rail then had to be offloaded from the GMLS back into the magazine after firing, although I am not certain (otherwise it would presumably require some jettison feature). The rail can barely be seen through/above the exhaust here:
[ img ]
This also drove much of the complexity of Mk 26 (which is notably very long), and is part of why no RUR-5-like adaptation ever came to the Mk 11 and Mk 13/22. An extensible rail also protruded from the usual Mk 112 box launcher during firing.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 1st, 2014, 11:25 pm
Having 'borrowed' some of Hoods good ideas,

final draft before I do railings/shading etc.

[ img ]

Thanks JSB

PS where am I supposed to show Torps ? (and on helicopters as well ?)

Edit -

Thanks for the info heuhen , and yes it was supposed to be 2 L or 1 SK just not sure how to show 'or'. (do you show helicopters torps ?)

Last edited by JSB on May 2nd, 2014, 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 12:21 am
we show torpedoes on the missile line. we also do not show what every single missile is named. that extra information is used on an B-side template (very little used in shipbucket)

helicopters.

if hangar, helicopters show a landed. if a ship have two helicopter on can be showed as landed and one in air.
if no hangar, helicopter is shown hovering over landing pad.

on you'r destroyer it show three helicopters. you'r design would only fit one sea king or lynx.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 8:24 am
Good call to use my AU parts! I was going to suggest you do that anyway, or at least do something like it.

Regarding the Ship Dart, I don't think it will work, or at least not well. Given the nose ramjet intake there is no room for an active seeker and the receiver antenna are small and not really suited to picking up reflected waves at long distances. I think the basic Sea Dart had a limited anti-ship capability within the range of the Type 909, but I might be wrong in that.
Perhaps use the Sub Dart as an anti-ship weapon? With a homing torpedo any enemy has to destroy the missile before the torpedo enters the water and goes live. It might be possible facing older Soviet CIWS/ LAA (before the AK-630) to achieve enough stand-off to make that work.

On the smaller frigate, I don't like the cut-out of the hull around the missile tubes aft, looks like a structural weakness waiting to happen. Nice to see how these are progressing though.

You don't need to show torps, though some folks do, and we never show helicopter armament normally.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: AN ALTERNATIVE ROYAL NAVY FOR THE 1970sPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 8:36 am
Now much better, only the Mk8 is needed to create two very good what if British ships, well done! Hood is right about the Ship-Dart, a surface-Martel was considered:

http://www.skomer.u-net.com/projects/martel.htm. Then a surface-Eagle could follow. You have the launcher, all you need is the missile!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: