Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1327 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 26th, 2014, 9:46 pm
OMG this is realy beautiful, even uncompleted as it is. Hoping to see it completed and than I can swoon with delight...

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 26th, 2014, 9:54 pm
Thank you all, I can assure you, the Polly was a dream compared to this, its an organized chaos and the hull was by far the easiest, I've made little progress with the rigging as its the mystery of the universe in cable form

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 26th, 2014, 10:49 pm
Blimey some is going to be busy. :lol: Great start Rodondo.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 27th, 2014, 7:51 am
Very promising beginning! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 29th, 2014, 6:13 pm
This one took only a few hours but the story behind it stretches at least back at least 200 years. In the 1830s/40's a group of sealers were in a boat that was upset in the surf on the remote Western Victoria border. At this point only a handful of settlements existed within a few hundred km except. Anyway, some of the men drowned unfortunately and the rest staggered along the beach to civilization. Not long into their trip they spotted something dark behind the beach in the Sand Hammocks (dunes sparely covered with bushes and scrub), there embedded partially high up in in a dune/in between dunes (sources vary) 200-1000 yards inland. lay a very weathered and bleached wreck, mostly intact and judged to be between 100-300t. As towns sprung up, people visited the hulk, playing on the half buried hull as the sand swallowed it up slowly and people used parts of her timbers for other uses until her upper works were either removed or the sand consumed it entirely around 1890. Since at least 1933 people have been searching for the wreck especially in light of when Indigenous Elders were asked how the ship came to be here on such a stretch of coast so far from the sea. They had no clue, it had been there at least 60-80 years before them and no part of their oral tradition mentions it with any detail with the exception that "Yellow/white men came from the wreck". Hence the theory has been generally that a Portuguese or Spanish ship was dumped by an enormous storm high and dry and far from home. This isn't the only wreck that possible predates Cook by a decade or a few centuries in these Eastern waters but it is the most documented over the years with dozens of accounts.

A little over a decade ago, a local man by the name of Graham Wylie started building at similar ship from reclaimed timber. Recently, it was launched and now the Notorious prowls the Australian Coastline visiting ports along the way. The people behind the "Notorious" were only too happy to give me permission to draw their vessel (Seeing as it was privately owned I thought it was only right). Further more they wished us luck with our ongoing effort, lovely of them!

[ img ]

If no glaring issues are found I'll send this to the Notorious Group tomorrow and finish up the sails and the three mast configeration

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 29th, 2014, 8:24 pm
Wow, it's awesome! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 30th, 2014, 3:35 am
She looks like a Medieval Cog to me :?:

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 30th, 2014, 4:26 am
No, she's more like a miniature Mediterranean carvel, such as Niña or Pinta!
Very nice (and incredibly cute!) though!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 30th, 2014, 8:27 am
Yes she is a carvel, roughly based on a generic 1480's 80t Iberian ship but could represent anything from 1450-1520. Despite being rather small and seemingly ungraceful, apparently she's been in 8m swell with a dry deck which I believe has enabled her to sail to Malaysia and back. Being Dhow rigged, she cas sail against the wind at 4-5knts as well

Heres the other configuration and with (most) Sails set

[ img ]
[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: March 30th, 2014, 3:35 pm
That's a funky little beast! :D
Like it, it strikes me.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1327 »

Jump to: